Interesting Realization w/ Verizon data

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ponderous, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Ponderous macrumors regular

So yesterday my wife got me the 64 gb Verizon iPad. I went to turn on the cellular and found that 1gb of data cost $20 a month. Now if I utilize the wifi hotspot on my iPhone 4 the legit way I pay $20 a month for 2gb of data. So I called Verizon today and asked why I would want to pay the same for less data after having already dopped $130 more on the iPad to get the cellular antena. She had no answer for me and agreed that it didn't really make much sense.

Now I know I have to make sure my phone is charged and at the ready but it's always with me and capable of providing wifi goodness. Needless to say, I went back to the store today and swapped the iPad out for a 64 gb wifi only. Saved $129 bucks in the process.

If that makes any sense...

2. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

I still have the unlimited plan on my AT&T 3G iPad OG. :D

$30 and I never get complaints from AT&T, even when I go over the invisible 5GB cap on the "unlimited" plans. Aren't the AT&T data plans that are NOT unlimited still much cheaper than $20 for 1GB? I think I remember $10 per GB after you go over your contracted amount. Should have gotten the AT&T one, or just stick with wifi...

Spike

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I don't like to have to rely on my iPhone to use my iPad.

4. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm in the same boat as the OP I find the 3G version of the iPad to be kind of a waste. If I need data while on the go and there is no wifi hotspot nearby I always have my iPhone. By the way I have my iPhone on Verizon so I still have unlimited data for it which is always nice!

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

See I don't find it to be waste because I do not want to give up my unlimited on iPhone with ATT. Plus I like having GPS on my iPad. It's just a nice little extra feature to have. Especially since navigon has set up a universal app. It is so nice. So overall I'm extremely happy with the 3G.

6. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Only bad part is if you are browsing away on your iPad or streaming any kind of media if you receive a phone call on your iPhone your data stops to the iPad so you can talk hence rendering what you were doing in the iPad useless until your data connection resumes.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Actually that only happens on the Verizon iPhone. On the AT&T iPhone you can use data and be on the phone at the same time.

8. Ponderous thread starter macrumors regular

That is a good point that I did consider. But when I weighed the savings I don't feel it's that crucial as nothing I will be doing on my iPad is "mission critical". Good point though.

9. JeepGC macrumors regular

I went with the 3G because I would have to drop my unlimited data(Att iPhone) to tether

10. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

+1 att doing something right

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

If you get a Virgin Mobile phone you can tether an iPad and get unlimited data for $25 a month.:p

12. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Depends on your plan. I have Sprint's EVO 4G phone, rooted. With WiFiTether, I can get online via WiMax, which seems to be everywhere these days (middle of nowhere in CT, recently). This way I can be online, talk on the phone at the same time. Supporting customers via phone and Logmein is great.

13. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

anyone can root/jailbreak; etc. We're talking about legitimate ways.

Anyways to the OP, main reason why i didn't go this route is because i actually want to be able to make calls at the end of the day. I hate having to worry about the battery life; etc. The Iphone barely gets me through a 12 hour day right now. Wifi tethering would kill the battery in a matter of hours.

A tether thunderbolt lasts about 2-3 hours. its pathetic.

14. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Heard bluetooth tethering is easier on the battery. Not sure if iPad can tether via bluetooth tho.

15. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

im pretty sure it can't.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because I'm frequently in areas that ATT doesn't have 3G.

17. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

And how's their coverage? I keep hearing everyone push some of these cheap services and they just don't work with a crap. The old adage you get what you pay for comes into play with wireless. You can go super cheap and get slow speeds and no coverage. Or pay more and get more coverage and faster speeds.

18. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The coverage certainly isn't as good as ATT or Verizon but you can see the map online. It's worked everywhere I've been. The speeds are 'bout average for 3g.

19. princealyy macrumors regular

Another option for data if you are also using a laptop is to get a mifi from any carrier you would like so that you can utilize a lot more data.

I know it costs more butif the iPad is just a utility item for you and need data on your laptop that would really help as well.

I need to carry an Internet card so this just works.

20. Ponderous thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. So far I've only been using wifi. If a need arises I'm going to give the hotspot through the phone a try. Of course I could always man up and pick up a 4g hotspot :D

21. madat42 macrumors regular

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, if you add hotspot service to your phone, don't you end up paying $20/ more a month? And this is whether you use hotspot or not. On the iPad 3G, sure you pay $130 upfront, but you can activate/deactivate the service and contract any time. I suppose if you're always using 3G, the hotspot feature is the cheapest way to go.

22. sectime macrumors 6502a

Which is why I sold my Verizon Iphone and bought a HTC Thunderbolt. 11 meg download on 4G, voice and Data both 3G and 4G. Of course 3g data speed kinda sucks , WiFi Hotspot. I decided on a 64G WiFi Model and HTC.

23. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

On AT&T that 2GB of data turns into 4GB of data, I do use tethering for mostly my laptop but keep my unlimited iPad plan going to use for streaming and heavy data tasks....