Interesting resale quandary.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 16, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I sold 2 iPhone 4s (4 not 4S) on CL tonight; a 16GB and a 32GB.

The iPhone 4 has no capacity (16GB/32GB) etched on the back. (And even if it did, the back is easy to swap.)

I had wiped them both, and thus the "connect to iTunes" message was on the lock screen.

The only info available when the phone is in this state is the CCID and IMEI numbers, found by tapping the i on the lock screen.

Fortunately for me (and the buyer), I had the original boxes, with matching CCID/IMEI numbers on the sticker on the box, and the corresponding capacities…16GB/32GB.

So if you are buying a used iPhone 4 without the original box, and the phone is in "connect to iTunes" mode, you have no idea what you're buying. The only way around it I can figure is to bring a computer with you when buying, hook up the phone and check the capacity in iTunes.

2. mcdj, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, well when you buy a 32gb in a dark alley somewhere, and it turns out to be a 16gb when you get it home, don't say I didn't warn you!

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Best advice I've heard if buying/selling on CL is to meet up at an AT&T store, and do the activation while both parties are there.

And, as always, caveat emptor.