Interesting shift in complaints about 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Aug 22, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I've noticed an interesting phenomenon slowly taking shape with the complaints and grumbling about the 3G iPhone lately. As it is becoming more evident that Apple is having (alleged) issues with their 3G connectivity, crashing and slow software and a whole host of peripheral issues (server problems on launch, Mobile Me, etc.) the griping about things like lack of features like MMS and copy and paste have lessened significantly. It seems that iPhone users have shifted from "it won't do this or that!" to "I Just want it to work".

Also, these issues have been amplified with the media spotlighting the class action suit that was filed recently. I think it is important to keep in mind that Apple likely has dozens of lawsuits filed against them at any given time. This one just seemed sexy enough for the media to focus on.

It will be interesting to see how Apple addresses not only the issues for existing iPhone owners but how they will deal with the potentially negative PR that could affect future sales.

2. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

Agreed,
    I now understand why copy&paste and MMS have taken a backseat to other priorities. Having a solid working high-speed network phone (3G as advertised) should be first priority.

I know other companies build games for the iPhone, but it's shocking how many games(539 today) are offered for the iPhone while Apple still attempts to clear up core issues. < I'm not saying stop the game app approvals, but i would refocus everyone that I could to correct Core issues.

From an end user point-of-view, it looks like Apple can't maintain a solid working phone. It just seems odd that I have 539 games(and growing) to choose from while Apple works on my connection issues. I know how the Corp world works. There usually isn't an easy way to redirect your staff when cores issues occur.
    MemphisDave

3. pj rage macrumors 6502

I don't think it's a phenomenon that people want their phones to actually work :confused:

Everyone was focusing on the lack of certain features when only looking at the phone from a spec sheet, without having a hands on. Once they realized that the phone is problem ridden, they began to realize that extra features were second to the ability to use the phone reliably.

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I would expect that the staff responsible for approving app store software is completely different from the engineering staff working to fix the bugs/issues. There is a testing group, which likely has few or no engineers, and there is an engineering group that responds to issues found by the testing group. It's not like they can put app store approvals on hold so all those testers can spend time focusing on writing new firmware instead. That would be like a hospital shifting all the billing administrators to the operating rooms to perform surgeries because they're backed up with too few surgeons.

5. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

apple is a huge company with probably over 100 departments. Its not like its 100 guys focusing on different aspects. Just because apple is approving apps does mean that that department's time would be better spent trying to figure out the 3G issue. Thats like saying the hospital is over crowded and we need more doctors, and the janitor is wasting time cleaning the walls. The people in the app approval department will not be able to fix the 3G issue, and visa versa.

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

wow.. thats weird. We both used hospital alalogies/

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

This is good. It means that they have sorted out the cracking issue. Now onto the next issue, which will be resolved in a matter of days with the September update.

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

:) I thought that was a little eerie, too.

9. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

The phenomenon to which I am referring is not that people are asking Apple to fix the issues with the iPhone rather that BECAUSE of the issues people are no longer complaining about the lack of features on the iPhone (perceived or otherwise).

10. automatickyle macrumors regular

What's interesting is seeing the amount of complaints about the actual 3G service go down, way down. The board has seemed to quiet a little bit since the 2.0.2 update.

11. pj rage macrumors 6502

Right. But I'm saying that this is normal, not a phenomenon. I would totally expect people to shut up about features until they have something reliable to even use said features on. Step 1: Get a working phone, Step 2: , Step 3: Complain about lack of features.

12. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I don't see the need to call it a "phenomenon". People want their phones to work and would rather they don't screw up every day than have MMS. Priorities.

I hardly even see the need to start a topic about it. It's just obvious ccommon sense surely?

13. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Kind of like Maslow's hierarchy of needs? Or maybe Steve Job's hierarchy of needs.

1. Get iPhone to work
    2. Get high score on Super Monkey ball

:p