Interesting Signal/No Service issue

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by drwprtcht, Oct 6, 2010.

1. drwprtcht macrumors newbie

So I have a 3GS that's on ATT's network and running 4.0FW that's jailbroke via jailbreakme.com. The phone is NOT unlocked.

Here's my issue:

I live in Town A. My girlfriend lives 80mi away in Town B. Well, ever since this weekend I haven't had cell phone service in Town B. I'll get about 10miles outside of Town A and immediately lose signal. It happens at the same place every time I travel. I'm guessing that that's the point when the phone tries to switch towers...but it never happens. The phone will say "Searching" for a few minutes and then eventually just switch to "No Service"

I know that this isn't an ATT issue, because everyone that I've talked to in Town B that has an iPhone (atleast 3 people) all have full signal. So I'm guessing that it's something I've done recently through Cydia. Apps that I have that may be the cause are biteSMS, iBlacklist, and Auto3G. I've already uninstalled Auto3G and iBlacklist to see if that fixed the problem and it didn't.

So I'm at a loss. I have no clue what I could of done to cause this. I'm sure a full restore would solve the problem but I REALLY don't want to do that. That's my last resort.

Any ideas?

2. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Have you tried restarting the iphone when you have no signal?

Have you tried manually searching for a network when you have no signal?

You could try installing signal and from cydia and see if its finds any cell towers when you lose signal

3. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

have you tried leaving it in Edge mode and seeing if you get service? or cycling airplane mode?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Weids issue indeed, I don't think is nothing to do with switching tower since in a 10 miles drive you possible already switched tower several times.

Try resetting network settings once. and them once you lose service again just hard reset the phone. see if that help, my guess is that ir is droppin to edge and for some reason no edge signal is being processes. (maybe somehow you turn off edge on settings).

5. drwprtcht thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried reboot, hard reset, and airplane mode. But I haven't tried this...

Good thinking, I'll try this when I'm there again this afternoon.

6. drwprtcht thread starter macrumors newbie

You're a genius. This solved it. I just cycled the network settings once and it picked up signal at "the spot"

I'm thinking that Auto3G caused it.

Thanks again.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Glad to know it works :D