Interesting stuff from Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Bridge_Performance_Numbers_to_Partners.html

At the same clock speed, Ivy Bridge offers around 20% performance increase. At 22 nm, it produces less heat and energy than Sandy Bridge.

So if Apple uses Ivy Bridge CPU's with the same clock speeds as the current Sandy Bridge CPU's, it can make a new MBP that is thinner with also longer battery life while offering also a 20% power increase. Maybe Apple can manage to fit regular Ivy Bridge CPU's in the MBA :p ( and thus killing off the 13" MBP )

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Please no. No thinner and no killing 13". It's not going to happen (the latter, at least)

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Why not thinner? I would think that would be a good thing, given that Apple increases the power of the computer at the same time...

4. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

i would not want thinner, its one of the main reasons i bought the mbp instead of the mba. the mbp is perfectly proportional. and look how many ports the pro has to the air. any thinner and you'll lose firewire and i use that everyday. I've read many threads that say the pro doesn't have enough ports so why remove just to make it thinner. i believe thats why apple made the air

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol at thinking changing the processor is what's keeping the MBP from being thinner.

6. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

The difference between the MBA and the 13" MBP is an underclocked CPU. The rest is the same ( except that the MBA uses a SSD )

7. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Um no. It's also missing an optical drive, a FW800 port, and an ethernet port. Also, the MBA's SSD is a fraction of the size of the MBP's HD.

8. cirus macrumors 6502a

Um...

You do know that the screen uses by far the most power in a laptop (assuming a light workload). Making the processor 20% more efficient might get you 5-10% better battery life (get better saving if you went to SSD from spinning hard drive).

Unless the TDP changes down from 35 watts its not going in the MBA.

9. SandboxGeneral, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Someone (not me) wrote a really good article on Ivy Bridge over the weekend on AnandTech.com

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You'll lose Ethernet before FW800, and you've got about .25" to .375" to go before an Ethernet port becomes absolutely impossible. I'd say the MBP can get quite a bit thinner before you lose FW800.