Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Anyone see something interesting at Macworld? I've seen a few.

FLIR One is an infrared camera for the iPhone. It is a sort of case into which the iPhone is attached. The backside has an infrared camera and a CMOS camera so you can blend the two images. Really amazing. Available this summer.

New ScanSnap scanners. I forgot the model number. They have one which scans books. You hold the book flat on a table and the scan rotates to scan across the pages. The scan head sits high, about 12 inches above the book. Cool to watch.

Airturn has a small, hand held Bluetooth gadget for remotely navigating iPad software. Very cool but it needs some new APIs from Apple to work with Keynote and iBooks.

The talks were pretty good. David Sparks had some good suggestions.

Anything I missed?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I also found three iOS apps that were interesting.

MotionPortrait
One of those impractical apps that is just amazing for what it does. You load in a portrait of someone or even a pet. It helps to have the face centered and looking at the camera. You confirm the positions of the eyes and mouth then the app processes the image. The result is an animated portrait. The person tilts their head back and forth and blinks their eyes. Click the mic and if you say something then the mouth moves to say back the phrase. Really eerie. I had trouble finding it in the App Store so Google it and follow the links that way. Free with in app purchases for glasses, mustaches and such.

Two others are by Creaceed.
Prizmo. Scans documents with the camera and performs OCR and more. I've tried several scan/OCR apps for iOS and this blows them all away. The OCR is great. It falls down on italics (maybe that is pilot error) but otherwise fantastic. I tried it at home on a page from a journal, full letter size and didn't find any errors, aside from italics and equations. Very impressive. Also has a way to alter contrast to improve OCR. I think this was a few dollars.

Emulsio
This processes a recorded video to reduce camera shake. Free for videos up to 30s. Best of show winner. Amazing that you can now take a video and post process it like this with your little pocket computer.

Non Apple thing.
Really odd illusion. When you look at pairs of faces the faces become distorted. Learned this in Les Posen's talk.

http://illusionoftheyear.com/2012/when-pretty-girls-turn-ugly-the-flashed-face-distortion-effect/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.