Interesting thought:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

It's be 15 months since the iPhone 4 release. And with no mention of a new model as of yet, what is going on?

We have seen steady releases improving the design, as well as the internal specs for the last 4 years (2G, 3G, 3GS, & 4) within 12 months (+/- 1) of the previous release.

What could Apple possibly be hiding in their sleeve this time? Android phones are quickly taking over with 8MP cameras, 1080p 30fps video recording, 4"+ screens, removable batteries, and 4G LTE (Verizon). These features are sure to persuade any smartphone shopper away from Apple's 5MP, 720p, 3.5" screen, non removable battery, with 3G technology.

I fully expect (as does EVERYBODY) a 8MP camera with 1080p video, and a A5 processor. Which leaves Android phones with the advantage of 4G (not everybody needs necessarily), a 4" + screen, and removable batteries. While Apple's OS is slightly more user friendly, that is hardly a reason to stick around with a phone that is easily out-muscled by a better Android smartphone.

What features do you think Apple will add to their phone to make it the latest and greatest smartphone in the world, as they have done for the past 4 years?

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

"Interesting thought"?

3. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Well seeing as how the new iPhone hasn't been released, you have no idea if it will have a 4" screen, removable battery, or LTE.

So.... your argument is pretty much moot.

4. TZeruk macrumors newbie

That's actually not what he said.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

lolz

for the next month or two macrumors should close posting in the iPhone thread and open like 5-6 stickies to address predictions thoughts news and other stuff

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Oh really? Looks like he said it right here...

"Which leaves Android phones with the advantage of 4G (not everybody needs necessarily), a 4" + screen, and removable batteries."

Like I was saying, we have no idea if the iPhone will have any of these so who is to say they will have that advantage...

8. TZeruk macrumors newbie

Not that I agree with anything the OP said, because I don't ... but what he is saying is that if some rumors hold true, the Android offerings will likely still have the following advantages: 4G, a 4+" screen, and removable batteries. In other words, the iPhone still lacks these items.

9. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

That's great, but the keyword is still rumors... We don't know! Although I agree the next iPhone will likely not have any of the three, at the end of the day, we just don't know.

10. HeezyBear macrumors regular

11. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I have no idea what the iPhone 5 will have.

But I DO know what the iPhone 4 DOESN'T have that most high-end Andriod phoones have RIGHT NOW:

1) 4"+ screen
    2) 4G LTE
    3) microSD card slot (allowing for greater than 32 GB on board storage)
    4) Dual Core processor with more power
    5) 8+ MP camera
    6) Removeable batteries

It's pretty clear that the next iPhone will have 4) & 5) and will NOT have 2) and 6). Given that Samsung and HTC are not standing still in the next year, the next iPhone MUST have either 1) or 3), the latter in terms of 64 GB (they'll never do microSD). If they don't, I can't see how it stays competitive over the next full year+ cycle, even with Apple's superior ecosystem and fanatical core fanbase.

At some point, something has got to give.

Tony

12. TheE3Guy macrumors newbie

If you think of the extreme measures Apple recently took when the prototype iPhone 5 was lost, (posing as police?) to make sure the lid isn't blown off the next iPhone, it's most likely more than a minor spec bump. If it's largely identical to the iPhone 4, besides the A5 and 8mp camera, then why would Apple go to such extreme measures to secure their prototype. It leads me to believe it's a huge redesign and Apple didn't want the their flagship product leaked again like last year. And the increased product cycle from 12 months to 16 months is a bit suspicious. I don't think Apple would delay the iPhone this long just to rest on their laurels and release something disappointing.

13. awtryau89 macrumors regular

14. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I'm saying that because the 4 doesn't have these, and the 5 probably won't, that Android phones look more enticing to customers than an iPhone 5.

After saying that, I will buy into Apple's system because I have paid for apps in the system, have Apple computers and enjoy OS X and iOS much more than any Android phone that I've had access to.

In short, my question was, if the iPhone 5 is just a better camera and processor, why did it take 15 months? And in part, if it's just a camer and processor, why would casual users buy into Apple over Android?

Sorry if my question/statements were misinterpreted.

15. tomtom101 macrumors regular

I never really bought apps and stuff, but hearing it there just shows the really annoyingly smart thing about apple... People pay for apps, and then must stay with apple to keep them rather than pay for new apps for other platforms... Sooo clever!!

16. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

As far as removable batteries, Apple won't do this. More importantly, they don't need to do this. All past iPhones have had superior batteries. As for Android, these phones need removable batteries because they don't last long. For me, my iPhones's battery life has never been a problem. In fact, I still have my original 2g and its battery still holds a good charge (it's almost 4 1/2 years old!). Lastly, who wants to carry a spare battery? If I needed more juice, I would prefer to use a case with a battery inside it.

17. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That's the whole idea behind iOS. This is why Apple focuses most of its energy on iDevices.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That's what I'm thinking too. If it wasn't something big, then why would Apple make such a big deal about it and going to such lengths to get it back?

20. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Playing devil's advocate, you can also say the fact that there's a leaked prototype out there and no new information has come from it could mean that iPhone 5 will look just like the iPhone 4.

21. f00f macrumors 65816

Slighty? Are you serious?

My 63-year old entirely non-technical mother can operate an iOS device. So can my 6-year-old niece.

They look at an Android device and I -- unfortunately the only hardcore family techie -- have to answer why it's not as easy to use as an iOS device.

User friendliness is a huge fsck'in reason to stick with iOS. HUGE.

22. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Very well said. My twins are now 3 years old and they both know how to use the iphone. They know how to play their games, listen to music and watch videos. When I showed it my mom, she really liked how easy it was to use. With android, forget it!

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's simple really.

Apple does what Apple wants, when Apple wants.

See how easy that is? :)

24. Bartboy919 macrumors member

Bartboy919

The OP realized that AT&T launches their LTE network on Sunday, right? There was no reason to put LTE and then Verizon in parentheses.

25. amdmaxx macrumors member

Droid Bionic is awesome, if iphone 5 disappoints..