Interesting trouble with main SATA hard drive controller in mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hugh, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

The main SATA controller on my Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro stopped working?, it does not see any hard drive connected to it (Disk Util doesn't see it, and Disk Util takes awhile to come up, doesn't matter what size or kind of hard drive is used). HOWEVER if I do a System Report, System Report shows the the drive info. Is the SATA controller kinda dead or is there something I can do to get function back to the main SATA controller?

DVD-ROM drive works fine reads/writes CD/DVD's with no problems, it just won't boot or format the main hard drive. I ordered a drive doubler with OWC (macsales.com), but I didn't read the fact that the 13" unit DVD/CD drive controller will not handle SATA 3.0 6Gb/s drives well before I ordered. So I will put the stock drive there, but I have a brand new SSD drive that is SATA 3.0 6Gb/s drive and would like to use it.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well you could try replacing the SATA cable they are notoriously flaky on this model and any moving around of drives can break them.

3. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Really? I didn't know that, I will look into replacing the cable. They aren't that much on eBay so that's worth a shot.. :)

=Hugh

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Also, the 2012 machine does SATA III just fine in both bays.

5. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Yes the 2012 13" MacBook Pro units use SATA III, however the main drive can use a SATA III 6GB/s fine, where the optical controller can only use SATA III 3 GB/s or lower. There are people testing out SATA III 6GB/s in the drive bay, but are finding that it can't be used used reliable.

-Hugh

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Your terminology is off. It's Gb/s, not GB/s. And SATA III 3 Gb/s doesn't exist. SATA III is 6 Gb/s. SATA II is 3 Gb/s. And SATA I is 1.5 Gb/s.

If what you mean is that the SATA III optical connection is unstable, may I ask for references? Because I haven't heard anything conclusive on it. There have been reports for 2011 models, but not 2012 to my knowledge. I even know of people running dual SATA III SSDs in RAID 0 in the 2012s without issue.

7. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

JTToft,

Sorry about my confusion, I reading OWC (www.macsales.com) info on the using the Optical drive connection with 2011 and 2012. HOWEVER, it does seem that my hard drive connection with a new cable is strange, with the SSD, the drive is slow, but if I put in the hard dive it's fast. I have to put in the SSD in the Optical for me to use it to it's full speed. Is it possible the HDD drive controller has gone bad, or I might gotten the wrong cable.

-Hugh

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can check in your System Information to see what speed is negotiated for your SSD, in the SATA tab
    Should give you both the Link Speed - the hardware capability; and the Negotiated Link Speed - which is what the SATA controller is actually providing to your drive.

Unless you were sold a cable that was listed as "brand-new", you may have simply bought one that was stripped out of a used system (it happens), and then you don't really know what you have.
    I would consider trying another cable, from a different seller.

9. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

When I get to the new back for the MacBook Pro <current one is scratched to hell and it was only $35 <Good price?>>, I will switch them back and see what they says. To be honest, I don't remember what it said at the time so that is a very good question on what it said for Negotiated Link Speed and Link speed.

As for the cable was listed brand new with the part number listed, and it was real stiff and still had it's stickers covered as if it was never used. But I see they are dirt cheap, after I do the switch again and it's not showing correctly I will look into another cable from another supplier.

-Hugh