Interesting Upgrade? Can this work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blittle1221, Sep 11, 2014.

1. blittle1221 macrumors newbie

I haven't seen anything online about this yet so I came here to gather some insight. I'm due for an upgrade from ATT so I was thinking about upgrading to the new iphone 6 and buying it at the subsidized cost, say $399. Then in turn sell that new iphone 6 still keeping my 4S active and make a nice profit. Then I venture over to tmobile and sign up for their service, trade in my 4S and get the market value for that, receive another brand new iphone 6 in which I would use all the while tmobile pays my ETF fees. Is it that easy? Does ATT charge you for the full cost of the phone then? Anyone see any issues with that? Last time I burned my upgrade on the iphone 5 and sold it still packaged for a nice profit and I didn't have any issues. Thanks guys

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Yes you could do that, but you will pay tax on the phone and a $40 upgrade fee as well. If t-mobile will pay the $325 ETF then yeah, it would work out for you.

3. lysola macrumors member

Sounds like a plan that could work on paper, but for me it's just too much work and too many steps that could go wrong. Considering everything you said is true and would all go according to plan, I think you're fine. I guess you're assuming that the supply will be very limited at first and flipping the iPhone 6 will fetch a much higher price than $399.

4. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

You had better scour the fine print in T-Mobile's promise to pay your ETF. There might be something in there about not paying it if you have renewed in the last 30/60/90 days. I know I'd put that in the agreement if I were T-Mobile!

5. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good replies..thanks. If it works I think I'll come out way ahead cause T-mobile will also give me $100 or so on my 4S so with their ETF I believe up to $300+ and $100.00 for my current 4S. I just don't want to see a final bill from ATT billing me for the full price of the phone even though I paid for the subsidized phone.

6. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the fine print on tmobile and I didn't see anything where it said it wouldn't reimburse you if you just renewed your contract with the other carrier. My remaining question is does anyone know if I use my upgrade on att next Friday and pay the subsidized cost and then that day switch to tmobile would ATT then turn around and charge me full boat for the phone on top of the ETF fee???

7. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else? Someone else said they believe the line has to be active for a certain amount of time after an upgrade or att will want the phone back or require you to pay full boat for it on top of the ETF fees