Interesting USB-C accessory development

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macalway, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Macalway, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Macalway macrumors 68000

Ok, so I've been wanting to buy a (non Apple) USB-C Hub. Problem was, all of them on Ebay and Amazon, and wherever, didn't charge at the same time, which made them pretty much useless. (at least I'm not aware of any. There are some with the port, but as far as I can tell they only charge a phone)

So just in the last few days, ones that charge the Macbook have been showing on Ebay and Amazon.

It looks like they had to engineer a chip for this, and they just now are hitting the market.

Took them a while, but it's progress, assuming they work, of course.

2. professional445 macrumors member

wonder if they are safe to use or if they are considered similarly to 3rd party ios chargers

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In the main usb-c thread there is a comment from someone who has one of these. He says that the usb connection is pretty flaky and that the charge rate is maybe 1/4 of the stock adapter speed (Apple adapter drops it to about half).

I'm holding off until these are more fully developed and released by reputable manufacturers...

4. xPad macrumors regular

The MacBook complies with the USB 3.1, and USB Type-C standards, which means that any adaptor or power supply that also conforms to those standards will work perfectly. The only thing that matters in terms of functionality, is whether the power supply supports a Power Delivery profile that can supply enough electricity to charge the MacBook at the same rate as Apple's 29W charger. If it doesn't, that simply means it will charge slower.