Interesting video on the new market for waiting in line...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pdutta2000, Sep 20, 2014.

1. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

2. r-m, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

r-m macrumors 6502a

I sense a change coming on for future product launches. A change in the process, or who can have them or how.
    I know Apple want the money, they aren't bothered as long as they sell, but part of me believes they're not enjoying this.

You can even see it on the faces of the Apple Store staff - they just don't look that impressed.
    I heard similar stories of that sort of thing happening here in the UK too off people who were there during the launch, and from some people posting in the forums here.

There's none of that Buzz that I experienced during the iPad 2 launch - from speaking to the people around me at that, they were there for themselves or friend/family, and genuinely excited.

This iPhone 6 launch experience and atmosphere, just seems poor.

Does anyone have any footage or photos of a "successful" launch? As in, not scalpers. People there genuinely wanting the devices for themselves, and getting involved in the theatrics of it all?
    Some of the Australian launch photos I saw looked good, seemed to be a general air of excitement on people's faces.

I don't know what the change can be to make it how it used to be, but feel like something's gotta give. Whether it's a limit of 1 device for cash transactions, 2 for card, I dunno. Maybe the device's first activation has to be done with the purchasing card details. Something to change it up a bit and stop this happening so much.

3. Pochi Hanaki macrumors regular

Those cops were pretty rude. Can't get any sleep while in line. That is just BS. Instead of worrying about if they were sleeping or not they should have been making sure they were cleaning up the big mess they were making with all that trash.

----------

Apple employees were doing all that running and cheering at our store. They even tried to get a wave going. It is not that we were not excited about getting the phone. It is just we were in line all night and just wanted the phone. Stop cheering and doing that stupid selfie thing and just ring us up so we can go home and play with our phones.

4. xxray macrumors 6502

5. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Great experience in NorCal. Particularly good experience for the 15-20 of us who pre ordered. Showed up at 7:40, was the 6th person through the door, had my 6+ all setup and on my way by 8:15.

6. blunti macrumors 6502a

7. msahadi macrumors member

8. iPhoney Baloney, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

iPhoney Baloney macrumors member

iPhoney Baloney

[​IMG][/IMG]
    +1
    I experienced the same thing yesterday here on Long Island. Luckily I had a pre-order and walked right past all that nonsense and into the store to get my phone. Something needs to be done.

9. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Unfortunately the launch at my store wasn't very successful but not because of scalpers.. Although there were some they just happened to be mostly towards the back. anyway, the mall security at my store wouldn't let us start lining up until 5am which sucked because I got there 7pm on Wednesday.

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Dude this is nothing new. Scalpers have been forming a good chunk of the line for years. iPad launches are the same.

It's difficult for sure, but Apple need to crack the Asian markets. Launch in China and India and see the lines disappear.

As it stands most of these people are willing to take the heat from others because they need the cash from whoever wants the phones to sell on.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Wow.. good video. Obviously the scalpers have taken over. I think all transactions must be used by a credit/debit card and limit 1 per customer.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

That city would be more of a ******** if they didn't enforce ordinances. You can't sleep on subways and the such.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes. That would do it but only maybe for the first week or two.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

At our store it was pretty fun being the first 40 or so in line but after that is 400+ scalpers.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't think so. I feel like it would be highly effective. The fact that you can only buy one would discourage many people. It no longer becomes "worth it" to wait 2 days in line just to sell 1 phone. They don't make that much to justify it. 2 is worth it.

16. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

This is really tarnishing Apple's reputation. Not because of race, but it makes the product look less desirable and luxe. I doubt they want to be associated with people sleeping and pooping in garbage bags on the street while others are resisting arrest.

17. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

In St. Louis we had the same (though not quite as many). There were maybe 2 in front of me and it suddenly ballooned to 15-20. One even kept complaining to Apple employees/mall security that he was first (when he wasn't). This launch experience wasn't as fun as the others I've been to. It's a shame that the fun and friendly atmosphere has been hijacked by profiteers.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I remember there was this one guy that cut in line. He was so full of it.

19. malevolant macrumors 6502

All the transactions weren't cash. The asian woman being helped in front of me spoke no English and had 4 Apple Gift Cards totaling EXACTLY what 2 iPhone 6+ 128gb cost. The Apple Store employee was shocked.

20. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

There should be rules/laws against lining up outside, period. If a store wants to make people wait in line, it should be on their own property.