Interesting Watch anecdote from MG Siegler

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

https://medium.com/five-hundred-wor...hkit-and-the-initial-apple-watch-79b6448957c7

I wonder what Apple held back to announce next year when they launch the product. I have to believe they left something for the "wow" factor, something that will make people say "ooh I want this".

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah I get the feeling that the Apple watch was a result of Apple seeing other people getting into the area and deciding that they have to also. With the iPhone, and iPod Apple toot their time to see what other people were doing wrong and then released something that worked far better than what was already out there at the time. I don't see much to differentiate the :apple:Watch from other smart watches, so I don't see it being the huge success of past devices. I'm sure it will sell well simply because of the apple brand, but I don't think Apple has figured out how to make a smart watch that stands out enough that normal people will want it.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Then that makes me wonder what people who have seen it are very impressed by...

I saw on Twitter there is an Watch hackathon this weekend in the Bay Area. www.hackathon.watch so it seems developers at least are excited.

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

That "it may even require the iPhone to turn on"? :D

----------

Maybe, a 3D "WIRELESS" label embedded inside the glass formed by microbubbles?

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Apple couldn't let Google get a huge lead with developers in this space. That would be disaster. And I'm not sure that everyone would agree the original iPhone worked "far better" than anything else at the time.

7. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

Actually the  Watch was rumored far before any of the major competitors of smart watches were even out. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Apple instigated the entire Smart Watch race with their patents.