Interesting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamiphone.ca, Oct 3, 2007.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

you beat me to posting this! Great News... Keep up the late hours and hard work! :)

2. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the post... keep us update, it would be appreciated!

3. one1 macrumors 65816

*RING*

"Mr Jobs"

"yes"

"Thank you for not patching a 1 year old problem, the hack is complete"

"It's 3am"

"Mark that on your calendar Mr Jobs. It will be a memorable moment in time tomorrow when you get to work and realize what this call is about."

:D

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Awfully nice of them to let Apple know what to patch next.

5. Mackan macrumors 65816

Yeah, the earlier Apple knows about this, the earlier they can fix it, and put a new firmware on the shipping iPhones. This potentially limits the number of iPhones on the market with the 1.1.1 firmware.

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Boy, its never more obvious than moments like these how twisted it is that security FLAWS could be seen as a GOOD thing on the most personal of personal digital assistants. If Apple is proactive in fixing these things, this will be the most bullett-proof mobile OS ever (by virtue of being both an open source kernel and closed, causing people to pore over it for exploits).

~ CB

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I don't think hackers will win this one. Apple has 1.1.2 ready to go as soon as 1.1.1 is hacked

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Maybe we won't get as many divs updating their jailbroken/unlocked phones this time and won't get the subsequent uproar.

I think the next update might come after Leopard comes out. It will have updated apps on the touch device.

9. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

and you know this how?

10. metoo6000 macrumors regular

If this is true, then Apple could make a quick update I guess....

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Riiight, and 1.1.2 fixes the bug that the hackers have found, before the hackers found it, right?
    Releasing an update doesn't automatically fix hacks, they've got to actually address the issue for that to hapen.
    The hackers will crack it, apple will download their crack, analyse it, test it, patch it, test it, and then release it.

12. one1 macrumors 65816

So a year ago when this issue was brought to light and they didn't fix it....... you think they'll do it NOW all of a sudden, eh?

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I don't know what they will do or won't do, but I would imagine that patching a known exploit is probably easier than patching an unknown one!

Seriously sometimes...(sigh).

14. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Unfortunately, yup. A security related problem that affects the phone? When people started commenting on that the ringtone "trick" will be "fixed" in an update, I laughed it off. When the metadata/ringtone trick worked, they said it again. I poo-pooed. Each fixed, one update later. Arguably Apple's biggest mistake was leaving the phone so wide open. People are widely reporting the nature of this exploit. The only thing that will hold back a fix, will be the other fixes they want to include with it. Considering the Leopard launch, there will likely be an October iPhone update or a November iPhone update.

We'll see, right?

~ CB