Interface iPhone to unrelated 3rd party hardware via wifi - Possible?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dcond, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dcond, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

dcond macrumors newbie

I'm new to the world of iOS development but recently came up with an idea to develop an iOS application that I'm going to put together. I've got a strong background with C but obj-C syntax and the iOS are totally new to me so I'm not quite up to speed .. yet.

Just hoping someone might be able to give some general feedback so I can get a idea where I might be able to find more information, what obstacles I stand to run into.

What I'd like to do is have the iPhone connect over wifi on a peer-to-peer network with a piece of hardware and mirror its menu - pretty much just remote control..

The target hardware to be connected to is completely unaffiliated with Apple and nothing has been developed to-date between the two. Getting the SDK from the other manufacture is not an issue.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

An iPhone can connect to an AD HOC wi-fi network. From there, it can connect to a server if you know its IP address on that ad hoc network. You can use UDP or TCP on the ad hoc network. Multicast (Bonjour) also works, provided the 3rd-party device has that capability.

The iPhone intrinsically supports a limited number of protocols (http, https, ftp, etc.). However, you can use low-level sockets to implement additional protocols, or even try finding those protocols implemented by others for iOS.

If the 3rd-party device can't act as a server (socket listener), then you'll have to think of a way to get the devices to:
    • identify one another's IP address,
    • connect to one another.
    This may entail communication with a third host acting as a central server.

If you don't have some experience with networking, you'll have a lot more to study than just Objective-C. In fact, I'd guess that networking and sockets will be harder to learn than Objective-C.

Networking & Internet Starting Point.