Interfit lights, planning to build mobile studio setup. Does anyone have an opinion?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renderz, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I mainly shoot weddings and events, however there is a demand for more studio setups. I already have a Lastolite backdrop which is excellent, however I want more lights to give me more control and to be more creative.

I'm looking at the Interfit kits, does anyone have any experience on them? I had a search but all the opinions have been vague.

Many thanks.

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I don't have experience with them, but I looked at their site, and I'd be worried about power levels- especially if you also want to do group shots at weddings or use them outdoors. If the watts ratings are the same as effective watt-seconds ratings, then I'd probably only look at the 600 and 1000w units, though that may limit your portable power options. I have Alien Bee 800s, which are 320 true ws and 800 effective ws, which is good for small groups, but not large ones, even indoors, but I can run them all off a single inverter with batteries. They require a true sine wave inverter, which I read somewhere the next generation of AB lights won't- and I thought I also read they were going to sell directly into .eu, which may or may not be worth waiting for- depends a lot on what sort of bookings you'd miss in the interim. For portable setups, I recommend a shoot-through for the key rather than a softbox for ease of setup onsite. I just picked up three cheap convertible shoot-through/bounce combos for travel, as I find I often don't have the room to set up bounce brollys in someone's small sitting room, and getting the light closer is always better anyway, as it'll be softer.