interim iPhone 4 or 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minchman, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. minchman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #1
    I recently had my iPhone 4 stolen. Sadly, I'm still on contract and won't be eligible for upgrade until March 2012. After giving this a lot of thought, I have a few options, and I would like to seek your opinions.

    A) Call (bitch/complain to) ATT and beg them to bump my upgrade eligibility. Several members were successful in doing this but very YMMV. Or some were able to get a credit for the difference if they were to pay the ETF + 199 price.

    B) Buy a 3GS from craigslist and not reset my contract. Wait until March to buy the 4S at the subsidized price, and sell the 3GS to recoup some of my costs.

    C) Same as B, but buy an iPhone 4 instead.

    In regards to B and C, which option would be easier to recoup more of my costs? In March 2012, would it be easier for me to sell the 3GS near $200, or the iPhone 4 near $300?

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

    FreakinEurekan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    Location:
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    #2
    Are you eligible for early upgrade (+$250)? If so, that's option D. Long-term it will cost more (nothing to sell in March) but it lets you get the 4S now, rather than settling with a 3GS for 5 months.
     
  3. ZBoater macrumors G3

    ZBoater

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    #3
    Or E, call AT&T and tell them to either let you upgrade early, or you'll cancel your account and go with Verizon/Sprint. Pay the ETF (which should be relatively low) and enjoy a brand new 4S subsidized by AT&T's competition...
     
  4. minchman thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #4
    Thank you Sean for the reply. Yes, I can pay $450 for the 4S now, but I feel I can spend less with plans B or C.

    For example, if I get the 3GS now ($200), buy the 4S in March ($200), sell the 3GS for ~$150-$180, I would be spending roughly $250ish. Of course this doesn't take tax into account.

    I am just wondering if it will be easier to unload the 3GS or the 4 in March 2012.

    ----------

    Thank you, ZBoater. That was mainly Option A I referenced. As much as I hate ATT, I prefer not to jump ship as there are family plan lines involved.
     
  5. blackjackmark, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

    blackjackmark macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #5
    IMO, it will always be easier to sell newer tech than older tech. When the next iOS 6 is announced, 3GS owners my be left in the dust, as original iPhone owners were with the jump to iOS4.

    Whether your selling price makes up for your increased cost of the 4...get out your crystal ball! But with the probability of them abandoning the 3GS sooner than the 4 in the next iOS upgrade, then I'd say get the 4.
     

Share This Page