Interim unitl new Mac Pro: iMac or old Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dm79, Nov 18, 2007.

1. dm79 macrumors newbie

Hi, am interested in anyones opinion on what I should buy until the new Mac Pro gets released (whenever that is).

I NEED a mac for an editing project in Dec and although I want to wait for penryn i can't wait till Jan because of the project at hand.
    Which of the following options is going to be best:

A. Buy a cheap iMac 2.0Ghz to get through Dec and then sell it on.

or

B. Buy a refurbished Mac Pro 2.66Ghz and then sell that on when the new Mac Pro comes out.

Which option is likely to be more cost effective in terms of price drop once the new Mac Pros come out?

I am ultimately in need of a Mac Pro which I can upgrade over time so long-term an Imac wouldn't suit my needs, but was considering it as an interim until Jan(?).

Thoughts?
    Much appreciated.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would think the refurbished imac would hold its value better. Then the mac pro. Because the mac pro is going to be refreshed between now and when you sell. The imac might not be.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

It really depends on what kind of editing you want to do.

If it's video and your editing regular DV video, then by all means... go with the iMac... if your looking for a HDV video editing, then the iMac could hold you over using the Apple Inter. Codec, but for smaller projects...

You can always sell the iMac later on in January and get a decent return especially since its the new look and feel and since it was updated earlier. I'd sell as soon as possible once the mac pro comes out, because you never know... apple could announce they'll be updating the iMac with the new processor (unlikely) and will lower the value of the iMac.

The bottom line... you'll get a better return on the iMac than the Mac Pro, especially if the iMac suits your current needs.

4. zdobson macrumors 6502

What about a MacBook Pro? It's always nice to have mobile editing as an option even once you get your Mac Pro.