Intermitent Black Screen, keeps falling sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kecuador, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kecuador macrumors newbie

Hello, I just got my first MacBook (a white one) and know nothing about Macs. I have had a couple of instances where my screen goes black - it almost seemed to be because I moved the laptop. I did not pay much attention to it. Yesterday, however, when I tried to start my laptop the screen kept going black. I tried taking out the battery, tried to re-set the PRAM ('tried' is the important word), and re-started it several times with the power button. However the computer would keep giving me a black screen at random times: either when it was just starting, or once the desktop was visible, or even once I started typing an e-mail. Once it went black it seemed to be sleep. I closed the lid, opened it again and the screen would come back for a few seconds then sleep again. Alternatively, sometimes, but only sometimes, the screen would come back for a few seconds if I used the keyboard. I could hear some whirling and then it would stop and the computer would go to sleep (as told by the flashing sleep light). Please help me. I have googled lots of 'black screen' articles but they all seem to be about the screen fading rather than the computer falling sleep/not starting properly. Also I know nothing about Macs so I quickly get lost when operating systems, etc are mentioned. Please be patient. Thank you so so much for your help!
    karen

2. corinhorn macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

Hmmmmm. It seems as if the sensor that determines if your laptop is closed is faulty, hence why it may be going to sleep randomly. If it is still under warrantee I would call Apple: 1-800-APL-CARE.