Intermittent Apple Pay

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Zcott, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Zcott macrumors 68020

Has anyone had issues with Apple Pay on the watch being intermittent? It works fine on my phone 100% of the time but some terminals don't always register the watch. Might take it to Apple and see if they can find anything.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not use it but I seem to get behind people, in the register line, who it does not work for!!!

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It feels like the 'range' is a little smaller with the watch. The phone needs to be in the area where the watch needs to be right at the sensor. Maybe the NFC transmitter is physically smaller or lower powered than the phone. Just look for the symbol on the terminal and put the watch right above it. The phone will do near-by, the watch mostly no. My success rate has been high with the watch but not perfect. Some terminals are just not clear on the position of their sensor and that can be a problem too.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've had pretty much the same experience. Whist my phone works 100% of the time my watch doesn't and there is the odd occasion when the watch will not work at all or will on the second or third try. I suspect you're probably right regards the strength of the NFC hardware in the watch. Hopefully they will improve it in the next generation of the watch.

5. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't work at a few specific places, like Boots. I don't think it's the watch because it does work at most other places. And I don't think it's Apple Pay because my iPhone works fine.

I think it's just something odd about the interaction at that store's terminals.

6. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Look for below sign on the payment device, and flip AW to ensure front display is almost touch sign below.
    Receiver is underneath sign below. AW NFC power is not as strong as iPhone, so it use less battery.
    contactless-lead-1355413251.jpg

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

When you see the image you shared it's easy. Trouble is the terminals that do not show this anywhere but the splash screen just prior to being ready for payment. Many of the terminals I have seen do not have this symbol anywhere but the display so when you pay you have to hunt around the machine until you get a hit. Like fishing. The phone does well with this but the watch can be a little harder. If every terminal had the symbol we would know. Some do, many don't. Some are still swiping my card and some read my chip by placing it in the machine. A store I was at today swiped my card then plugged it in the machine with the person saying they do both every time because all day they never know which one it wants. I'm rambling. Anyhow, thanks for the photo, we are familiar but not every vendor is.

8. jasie02, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I always wait for it on the NFC show up in splash screen before move my AW close to terminal, just to ensure it does not ask to to pay for more than what I should be paying for, rather than jump the gun and accept NFC payment earlier.
    It is easier to not paying, than ask for refund and have to wait for management for refund, if something not right in turn of total payment.

Added: if sign does not show up, I don't pay!

9. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

I use mine all the time. We have vending machines at work that have NFC readers on them for payment. Once in a while it says 'not ready, try again' but otherwise works quite well and fast.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

11. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I find from time to time my Apple Watch refuses point blank to do Apple Pay even when my AW is right on top of the terminal (I then dig out my iPhone and it works aOK).

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I use my AW Apple pay at least 10-20+ times a week, specially use in Whole-food/Safeway/Lucky/Trader-Joe supermarket, vending machine at work, Subway, Peet's coffee, & couple drug stores, it has never failed on me, expect couple times store told me the terminal does not work for any NFC, or they have not setup correctly to accept AP.
    It is my primary way of paying for grocery food now.

13. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

+1
    Both my wife and I are the same. AP on the AW all the time, works very well. The OP may want to have his AW looked at, but I do pretty much put the watch right against the surface of the NFC receiver. So it could be a distance thing.

14. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

That's the key, AW need to be almost touching or actual touching NFC symbol on the screen. Distant is very very short, but for me it is understandable, since AP always work for me and it does not eat up more battery than needed, if Apple use a more powerful NFC chip.

I though about it before I decide on SS with sapphire glass. I could understand anyone with SW Sports without front cover will worry about scratch. Also, for anyone with front cover or bumper and has issue with AP, could somehow front cover effect AP?

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I have had periods where it almost never works first time, having to double tap the button to get it to reload before it works. Seems to have been more reliable since last update, only failed once or twice since then.

16. Zcott thread starter macrumors 68020

Hm, good advice here. With my iPhone I can just tap the terminal and it'll register instantly. I'll try putting the watch over the contactless sticker to see if that puts it closer to the actual NFC chip. It does seem to be pretty weak.

17. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I dont like doing it but my watch face seems to 'tap' the terminal screen.
    (I will also be checking the amount I'm paying in future, as I have a tendency not to).

I have pretty much 100% success (allowing for user error)
    42mm AW sport, UK stores.

18. Zcott thread starter macrumors 68020

Might give that a go too. Mine is a 38mm sport in UK stores too.

19. jannette macrumors 6502

Wow! I did not know that you could place the watch next to the Apple Pay symbol. I always hold mine close to the terminal. I am not sure that it works that way in the UK. We just see stickers on the checkout that show you can use Visa, MasterCard etc and Apple Pay. I don't think they are "live".

20. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Get a SS, and forgot about scratched display.
    I run my AW against wall, door frame, kitchen cabinet, at least couple time a week, still perfect with no scratch on sapphire display.

21. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I have used Apple Pay a dozen times so far. A couple of stores that take it don't have stickers or anything to let you know where the reader is, and since the watch has to be right next to it I end up hunting a bit before it reads.

22. MacFan1957 macrumors member

Been having the same issue myself. Works about 50% of the time with the AW, 100% with my iPhone. Glad to know what the issue is although it once again points to the fact that the AW is simply underpowered. Myself I don't believe the tech is sufficiently advanced to allow a device this complex and this small to function, might take a good few more years to get there.

23. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You can't compared NFC connection power provided by iPhone battery with AW battery. iPhone is at least 5+ time size bigger than AW. If Apple decide to add more power NFC in AW, now we will have people complain about AP drain too much power, or we will need AW twice as big to put bigger battery.
    Battery technology in general is what it is right now.

Compare AW with all other smart watch, are there any other smart watch provide NFC pay without the needed of smart phone as AW, and provide more powerful NFC connection? If not, you probably are asking a technology does not exist yet, provided the smart watch size stay the same without supersize it.

24. MacFan1957 macrumors member

I'm not asking for tech that doesn't exist, I'm saying it doesn't! I think Apple overreached with their claims of what the AW can do on a consistent basis. A lot of stuff does work but not often enough (say around 50% of the time) to be acceptable.

I'm still happy with my AW but would not be able to recommend it to others. It might work as intended by say the 3rd or 4th Gen but that is still some way off.

25. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I visited Marks and Spencers today and used Apple Pay on my Watch; managed to hold the device around 1cm away and it worked perfectly.

No doubt when I visit The Co-Op tomorrow I'll have to have my Watch right on contact with their terminals!