Intermittent HDCP Issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Narked Diver, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

over the last two days I've been getting intermittent messages saying the selected movie cannot be played on my TV because it doesn't support HDCP

This happens when I play back content that I've purchased from the iTunes Store on my Mac mini that is connected to my TV via a hdmi cable

Sometimes the issue arises halfway through watching a movie. I can sometimes fix the problem by unplugging the hdmi cable from the TV and rebooting my Mac mini - sometimes it has no effect

My (uneducated) guess (hope) is that there is an issue with the hdmi cable (I haven't changed the cable in a couple of years). I'll try a new cable when I get a chance to get to the shops.

If it's not the cable then the problem is either with the TV or the Mac mini

The Mac mini is cheaper to replace than the TV but the TV is eight years old and I wouldn't be too upset if it gave me an excuse to replace it ;)

Has anyone come across this issue before. Or does anyone know if there are diagnostics I can run on the Mac to determine if the issue is with the Mac?

Thanks in advance

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

If you can, try another HDMI port on your tv to see if its just that one HDMI port on your tv. If it still happens, try a new HDMI cable.

If that doesn't work, try another TV. If it still happens, its probably your Apple TV.