Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hi guys, so about two weeks ago my iPhone 4's home button started failing intermittently and it's really getting on my nerves. I've factory wiped my phone twice but the problem is persistent. I've tried suctioning, blowing, and tapping on the bottom of the phone but to no avail.

My warranty expired a month ago, and when I called Apple they said they could give me a replacement for $200. The replacement doesn't even come with any warranty.

I guess some of my options include:

1) pay the $200 and get a replacement from Apple
2) buying a replacement home button and trying to fix it myself (<$10)
3) take it to an unauthorized store for repair (usually $60-100)
4) sell it while clearly listing the problem in the description (probably won't get too much $) and buying another one off eBay/Kijiji that will come with warranty

What do you guys think?

LethalTourist

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Theres a pretty sweet guide at ifixit.com for it. I'd do it, but then again, I've done about 30 of them! Weigh up what the iphone is worth to you and if you're willing to take the risk. Otherwise, take it to one of the unauthorised guys, $60 is a good deal and compared to the heartache you'll give yourself, it's a bargain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.