Intermittent Internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Manic Mouse, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I'm having a bit of a weird problem with the internet on my 10.4.10 MacBook. The internet works, to an extent but yet isn't working. For example Adium and SKYPE will log in and iTunes will download podcasts at regular speeds. However if I open Safari or Camino to look at web pages it's really REALLY slow or doesn't work at all.

I'm really confused as to how some aspects are working fine while others are next to completely broken. Activity monitor shows very little in/out bandwidth while trying to open pages but shows normal in/out when downloading through iTunes. And then sometimes the net works fine (as now). At first I thought it was a Safari problem but it's the same with Camino.

Any ideas? I looked at my active processes and see nothing out of the ordinary.

EDIT: And when I try to download things via browsers they take AGES to start, but download at a normal speed when they do.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Your symptoms suggest a DNS issue. Check your DNS servers in the Network pane of System Preferences, as well as any browser-specific DNS settings.