Intermittent MBP issues - Is my computer broken?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Disc Golfer, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Ever since I took my mbp out of the box two weeks ago it's been sort of funny. Mostly it just seems really unresponsive and I don't feel like I'm asking much out of it. I made another thread about it without much resolution, and chalked that issue up to the fact that I was copying files (which I guess is now problematic with brand new machines?). So a few days go by and I keep seeing the spinning pinwheel when doing very mundane things such as viewing macrumors.com, checking mail using mac mail application, or viewing system profiler. It doesn't happen every time but it has been happening often enough that I don't think it should be.

Skip ahead to earlier this evening.. I was watching Quantum Leap on hulu (the most consistently problematic thing I've used on this computer is hulu.com, like video game lag only worse) and was only able to get about halfway through the episode before the computer hung. Spinning ball, no response. I walked away and occupied myself with something else for a while and came back to it in the same state, so I turned it off and restarted. I was greeted by a grey apple screen with spinning load icon, indefinitely. Waited for a while, rebooted. Same spinning load icon, but then the computer boots very very slowly (~5 mins from off to desktop) and I get spinning pinwheel everytime I click something. Shut it down, start from OS X cd and run permissions repair and disk repair. No issues, but same thing on restart. Reboot a couple more times and now its back to normal! It boots quickly and I'm not getting the spinning wheel every other mouseclick. I'd like to finish my episode of Quantum Leap but I'm concerned it'll just put this computer back in the molasses again.

My questions are:
    Is this normal? The general attitude in my last thread was that I should either just deal with it being sorta crappy or return it, but I'd like to think there's a middle ground where both I get to keep it and it doesn't suck.
    and
    I'm going to the apple store tomorrow to get the bottom case swapped out (one of the rubber feet has a sharp bit that scratches my furniture and they have to replace the entire bottom panel to fix it!), should I discuss this extremely intermittent problem with them or will they just try to argue with me and charge me money? When I was there yesterday they mostly seemed interested in arguing with me, and charging me money.

2. chill. macrumors 6502

doesn't sound normal, but why don't you just use the mbp on display at the apple store and compare experiences?

3. ae3265 macrumors member

I would talk to them about that. It's doesn't sound right, considering the specs you posted in the other thread. Might be some intermittent hardware issue that snuck through QA. I'd first look for I/O disk issues (check the console and log files), and watch activity monitor.