Intermittent 'missing' main drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyp350, Oct 23, 2016.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I seem to have an intermittent issue whereby my MacBook Pro seems to lose all connection to my main drive. If this happens when using the MacBook the whole thing obviously completely locks up. It takes me multiple attempts to boot in when this is happening, I quite often get the screen with a folder and question mark.
    This issue is intermittent and I can go days at a time with it working fine, the issue seems to be more regular when moving the MacBook around or using it on my lap, which is why I suspect it to be a loose or damaged connection to the drive maybe, rather than a total drive failure.
    I'm having real trouble getting Apple to accept there is a hardware fault, as each time i've taken it in the issue has not been present. Would really appreciate some advice on how to approach this with Apple as I don't live close to an Apple Store and its a major inconvenience having to keep returning. I have spoken to Apple support on the phone and after 2 hours of tedious resets/reboots etc they finally accepted it is probably hardware related and recommended I made genius appointment, only problem is my Apple Store NEVER has available Mac appointments.
    I've finally managed to get an appointment booked in by going into the store and making a little bit of a fuss, but its a fortnight away. I'd really appreciate some insight into what the issue might be and advice from people used to dealing with Apple in the best way to present the situation/evidence to them when I go in for my appointment.
    I have the following two screenshots showing the screen I often get when trying to boot, and the Drive Utility Application in recovery mode showing no main drive present when I attempted to reinstall OSX as recommended by the phone support guy. (I have since tried a clean OSX install just to humour them and it did not resolve the issue in any way).

[​IMG]
    (Yes I know my screen needs a good clean)

[​IMG]
    No drive!! After a few more reboots it eventually 'found' it and booted in successfully. This is a recurring issue.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Seems like a loose physical connection to the SSD.

You can screw the bottom off and check it yourself if you want.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Either your SATA cable is failing or the HDD itself is failing.

Make sure you're keeping a backup.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Could be either a bad drive or a bad internal drive cable. Do you have an external USB enclosure you can out the drive in to test it? If it works in the enclosure and not internally, then you have a bad cable. Internal cable failures are starting to become fairly common on older models (2011 or so).

5. JTToft, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

Folks, this is a Retina machine with a blade SSD. And probably a PCIe one at that. There are no drive cables that can fail.

6. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have a screwdriver that fits the MacBook Pro's screws (I'm hopeless when it comes to having tools).
    Although now I think about it, I had the top fascia plate replaced a while back and I noticed a week or so after I got it back from the Apple Store that some of the screws were missing in the bottom, i'm now wondering if this being a bit loose (it doesn't feel loose) has caused the problem I'm having now.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2016 ---
    Yes i probably should have mentioned its a late 2013 rMBP. Purchased in June 2014, I was student at the time so have the three years Apple Care so its still got cover luckily.