Intermittent problems macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mpjberkhout, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mpjberkhout macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Have a 13 inch 2008 unibody macbook with some (intermittent) problems.

- airport card has completely disappeared, airport utility can't find the card
    - sometimes during boot, no chime, screen stays blank, computer won't start
    - sometimes during boot, chime, screen stays blank, but in the end screen comes up and computer is working ok
    - about 10%-20% of the time, I have a normal start
    - after the computer goes to sleep and wakes up, crash and lock up

When I successfully boot, everything works ok, except for sleep/wake up and airport.

What I have done thus far but didn't help:
    - reset pram
    - reset smc
    - reseat ram modules
    - when I remove both ram modules and start up, the computer beeps with an error as it should do.
    - run hardware diagnostics from dvd, it doesn't find problems?
    - looked inside the computer, but can't find loose connectors/cables

To get wireless internet access, I now make use of an Edimax usb wlan adapter.

What could be causing this problem? Do I have a bad logic board? Could bad ram modules (2x 1 gb) cause this problem?

I've heard that a new logic board costs a lot of money (561 euro here in Holland), a new 13 inch macbook pro will cost me 1149 euro (1 euro is +/- 1.35 dollar). What should I do?

wkr,
    Michel

2. mpjberkhout thread starter macrumors newbie

... new 13 inch macbook for Filemaker development

All the problems persist :(. Considering the fact that the Macbook is now 3 years old, I'll go to the store today and see what options there are to buy a new laptop:).

I like the 13 inch form factor, so I'l be looking to the:
    - macbook pro 13 inch (base model) : 1149 euro
    - macbook air 13 inch with 128 gb ssd : 1249 euro

The standard white macbook isn't available anymore.

Basically, beside browsing, and iwork activities and imovie/iphoto, I'll be using this laptop for Filemaker (database) development.

I think that the MBA with ssd and higher resolution will be better suited for this? Can someone give me some advice?

3. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you can run a hardware diagnostic yourself by holding the S key on start up or something like that I believe. Look into that, it may let you know what is acting up for sure.

But since it is having problems on boot up (such as not chiming) it doesn't look so good, a mac with a premature death :(

4. mpjberkhout thread starter macrumors newbie

Running the hardware diagnostics doesn't reveal any problems :confused:

You are probably right, it might be a sign of premature death.

Looked today in the store and will probably go for a new 13 inch macbook pro (base model)