Intermittent sound loss in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Osarkon, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've had this issue for a while now, where after a while of playing music in iTunes the next track will just be mute. The volume hasn't been changed or anything, there just won't be any output.

It's isolated to iTunes and has been around since version 7.2, and the problem is rectified by restarting iTunes.

Has anybody come across this or have a possible solution? Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't been getting that on either Macs or PCs. Which OS are you running? Tell us a little more about your setup. :)

3. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Im running a first generation macbook (the middle spec) with 10.4.10 inc Audio update.

The problem has been apparent since at least 10.4.9, I can't fully recall if it was there before then.

It's a very intermittent issue which doesn't crop up on a daily basis, but it's still unusual.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I tried moving my music collection over to the desktop via wireless a few days ago and it kept failing because some of my files are apparently corrupt. I checked the files in question and they play just fine in iTunes, so i'm not sure what the problem is there but it might possibly be relevant or mean something to someone?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try and get us the exact error message for the corrupt file transfer. :)

5. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Typical, I can't get it to reproduce the error message now. It's copied 6gb out of 12 so far without any problems - normally the problem would occur at about 2gb. :eek:

6. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Figured out why I was getting the corrupt file transfer errors - I had iTunes still running in the dock when I was trying to transfer the files. :rolleyes: One problem solved anyway, but not the main one.

7. jimjoebob macrumors newbie

yep, here too...

Osarkon,
    Yep, here too. Exact same issue with exact same timing.
    10.4.10 (started around then)
    7.3 (started around then also)
    The glitch is well described by your characterization, iTunes just stops working (goes mute)
    when playing a song or streaming NPR. Only solution is to restart.
    Waiting on 7.4 (itunes):(