Intermittent trackpad won't click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlisterS, Mar 26, 2015.

1. AlisterS macrumors newbie

Hi - wondering if anyone has any suggestions

I have a MBP 17", late 2011 (the last model), running OS 10.10.2.

Recently, occasionally the trackpad will stop responding to clicks - it goes down as normal, with an audible click, but the system doesn't respond. Cursor moves as normal, keyboard entries are unaffected.

The only solution so far has been a restart, after which it works perfectly.

Problem is arising maybe once a week - haven't logged it to be certain.

Hoping one of you knowledgeable folk may be able to point me in the right direction.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like a dying trackpad

It is mechanical and these things do wear out. The trackpads haven't changed in years (apart from teh new force trackpad no moving parts) so take it to an apple authorised technician and get it replaced or go into settings and use tap to click and don't worry about it.

3. AlisterS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ultra-fast response!

If it's mechanical, how come it works straight away on restart?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Good point....

It must be software, after a quick look on the apple support communities the fix swith most sucess eems to be repairing disk permissions... give that a try and get back to me.

5. AlisterS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again

Well I've repaired permissions - nearly all the log entries referred to cups or printer/scanner files; the only others fixed were "usr/bin/lipo" and “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”.

Still if it's sorted the issue for others, it might have done for me - of course, as with all intermittent faults, it'll be a while before I know...

Much appreciate your help...

6. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Since the new force touch track pads don't have any moving parts, should they last a lot longer than the mechanical ones then?

My 2012 rMBP track pad is getting finicky too.