Intermittent whine/screech on mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lichtenberg, Sep 18, 2008.

1. lichtenberg macrumors newbie

Hi,
    For a while now, I've been getting a strange whine out of my mbp core duo right above the power button. I don't believe it's the common "whine" others have complained about as I've tried brightening the screen/turning on the camera. Tapping on the case will stop the sound for a bit, but it soon returns. The sound comes and goes, but in incredibly irritating.

I have a sample here. You may need to turn up the volume to hear it.

Yesterday I replaced the right side fan, but the sound is back. Now I'm thinking it's the speaker, but don't want to spend more money on parts unless I'm relatively confident of the problem. Anyone heard this before?

2. s1lent.ey3s macrumors newbie

i think i have the exact same problem. it sounds nearly identical to that and it used to go away from tapping. today, it started to not go away as a result of my tapping. im going to be taking it to the apple store on saturday and hopefully they'll do something about it.

i am pretty sure its a fan problem, but im not positive. the only reason i say this is because i used a program called smcfancontrol to adjust the speed of the fans, and as the speed goes up and down, the sound patterns change slightly. but since you replaced the fan, im not entirely sure.

3. lichtenberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad I'm not alone. Let us know what happens at the apple store. Mine is out of warranty and I didn't purchase apple care, so I'm anxious to see what they say.

4. s1lent.ey3s macrumors newbie

5. s1lent.ey3s macrumors newbie

ok, so heres how the whole apple store went:
    when i arrived at the apple store, i told the genius (who, by the way, was actually very literate, but compared to her coworkers, she was one of the best. lol) that when i just got my computer in june, the computer operated normally, and as time went on, the computer began to develop a clicking noise in the right speaker area of the unit when the fans speed up to ~3400rpm (i know my original story is that it makes the noise at 2000rpm, but somehow the pattern changed in a matter of days). she spent about 30 minutes trying to raise the temperature of my computer (by running many programs, movies, rendering 3d functions, etc at the same time). when we got the fans at the right speed, she took it into the back and listened, and fortunately heard the noise. she said that it warrants a repair, but isn't absolutely necessary. she said that the fans could have been hit into a slightly-off position from the movement of the computer. she did specifically say that it was not normal fan noise, but wasnt extremely abnormal and that she had used machines that make very irritating noises that seriously need to be repaired. she gave me the option of repairing it, but recommended that i monitor the problem to see if it worsens. i chose not to repair at this time being that i am a college student and not having my computer at the moment will be an inconvenience, and the computer, according to her, should function normally for its expected lifetime. i do, however, plan on having it repaired before my warranty expires.

in your case (the OP), im not entirely sure what the problem is, since apple offered to replace the fan and this has been done already for you.

6. lichtenberg thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm now fairly certain my noise is the speaker, based on the fact that it wasn't the fan, and a comment on youtube from someone with the same problem. I ordered a new speaker set and hope to install it this coming weekend.

Apple never looked at my machine, I did the work myself. So if you're going to hand over your computer to them for a few weeks, I would suggest you push the speaker issue if the sound is similar to mine. It would be unfortunate to have to send it in twice.

Good luck!

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I just got my 15" 2.2.ghz MacBook Pro (purchased refurbished fall 2007) back from Applecare and had a ton of things done to it (casing replaced, screen replaced, etc). Now I'm dealing with high-pitched sound whenever anything sound related is initiated. The video is no longer online but I think I'm dealing with what others are dealing with on this thread. Looks like I'm visiting the Apple store again. I went to get this sorted out before I put all my stuff back on the laptop (it was wiped clean w/ a new hard drive to during its recent Applecare visit).