Internal battery expansion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kettlecorn, Jul 2, 2012.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Has anyone ever successfully taken out the optical drive and replaced that space with an expansion battery/custom battery cells?

I saw the recent thread on Macbook Air forums about the guy that made the DIY external battery using a battery pack and an AC adapter, I'm wondering if it's possible to get battery cells and stuff it into the space where the optical drive is.

There was a guy on XDA that took apart the original Asus Transformer keyboard dock and added an extra harddrive and he was trying to expand the battery as well. Is this viable?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's been done before it's "possible" but not necessarily "viable." I would definitely not stuff any non-standard battery into a computer of any kind.

3. katmeef macrumors 6502

It would be nice if Apple had an option to swap a second battery in the ODD bay for extra power to run a retina display in the 'legacy' chassis.

4. Icy1007 macrumors 65816

Icy1007

Apple would never do that.

5. Fatt macrumors member

Adding Li-ion cells is not nearly as simple as you would imagine. Charging Li-ion cells is a very controlled process, you can not simply add more cells without changing the charging circuity and programming. This is one of those, if you have to ask, its well over your head situations. :p

6. Icy1007 macrumors 65816

Icy1007

agreed.