Internal Blu Ray drive for a 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Plutonius, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would like a list of recommended internal Blu Ray drives to put in my 2009 Mac Pro from someone who has done it. Also, what additional hardware / cabling did you need ?

Note - I was planning on leaving the superdrive in my Mac and putting the Blu Ray drive in the second front bay.

2. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

3. Plutonius, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Thank you for the info. Do you recommend the Pioneer 209 over the LG ? Also, the 209 is $64.49 at amazon vs $83.99 on the site you listed. Do I need the more expensive one on the site you listed (specifically says Mac Pro) or will the same drive from Amazon also work ?

What 3rd party solution do you use to play Blu Ray disk in your drive since Apple doesn't support it ? Do you rip your Blu Ray disc using handbrake or MakeMKV ?

4. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

I simply used that shop as it is OWC who are well known for Mac Upgrades. So if they sell it then will work in a Mac.

However I just bought my 208 here in the UK. I am not aware that OWC do anything to the drives, so just get the model number and if can buy cheaper elsewhere then I would do so.

I use MakeMKV to rip the Bluray then Handbrake to put into H.264 format to import into iTunes.

I don't watch BluRay on my Mac itself but via the ATV3.

5. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

I'm currently using LG's version here:

LG BD Burner

with a few software downloads like
    [​IMG]
    makes a good use of the drive. I'm sure there are better out there but this fill my needs

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Please check your PM inbox.

7. ilandmac macrumors member

ilandmac

Got this one from OWC :

LG DVD/CD 'Super-MultiDrive' Internal Serial-ATA Optical Drive : Kit for 2006-2012 Mac Pro models - up to 16X Blu-Ray, 24X DVD+/-R, up to 8X DVD+/-RW, Up to 16X Dual Layer +/-R DL Burner.

Does the job perfectly. Cost was 82 $ US.

Beware. OWC did sell DVD drives that really screwed up the OS. Don't ask how
    I know...

ilandmac