internal bluetooth for imac g5, after the fact

skipperchong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
Austin, TX
I made the mistake of not buying my mac through the apple store and didn't realize that macwarehouse didn't offer internal bluetooth until just now -- weeks later. I don't really want to use up a USB slot. my question, is there any way to still get internal bluetooth?

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
as far as i know, the iMac uses an internal USB for its BT anyway. but.. i dont know if its a modified type or something along those lines with a propriety connection. If you do no want to open up your iMac, I would say take it up to your local Apple store and they should be able to let you know.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst it is connected over a USB bus it does not, as far as I am aware, use a standard USB port. People have claimed that it should be possible to add after the fact, but that Apple do not make the part required available. I would talk to your local Apple Store/Reseller.

skipperchong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
Austin, TX
question answered

so, you know I talked to Apple support last night. they confirmed that after the comp ships from the plant, it's very difficult to get an internal bluetooth -- unless you want to get a new system board.

I'd imagine that there was a way, but whatever.

looks like there goes that last USB port. any more and it's hub city for this guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.