Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I have just recently purchased a Mac Pro and am looking to add another internal hardrive.

I have found some good deals online but dont know whether i should be getting a drive with a 16Mb buffer or an 8Mb buffer?

Does it depend on what Mac Pro I have.

I have the 2.66GHz Quad btw.

Any advice would be great and any links to good deals on internals in the uk would be great too....

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Go for 16MB.

There was a bunch of sales on .10 500GB Seagate SATAII drives for $99 somewhere...see if you can find it. They also carry a 5 year warranty, but beware they are louder (but faster) than any other drive.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Yeah go for 16Mb, generally it's not much more expensive and it'll bring performance gains.

If you're after a quiet, and cheap 500GB drive, I'd recommend the Samsung Spinrite HD501LJ. It's far from the quickest drive in it's class tho.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You guys trust Samsung? I sure don't...it's always been WD or Seagate for me. I recently purchased a Maxtor Basics line drive 500GB SATAII drive with 16MB Cache for $99 on sale, it looks exactly like a Seagate, since Seagate purchased them, I don't see why I shouldn't trust it.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
You guys trust Samsung? I sure don't...it's always been WD or Seagate for me. I recently purchased a Maxtor Basics line drive 500GB SATAII drive with 16MB Cache for $99 on sale, it looks exactly like a Seagate, since Seagate purchased them, I don't see why I shouldn't trust it.

I'll second that.

Go with a Seagate or Western Digital.

The only time I installed Samsungs in a clients computer, I was bombarded with calls from the users afraid the machine was frying itself.

They were very noisy when seeking, and the heads made a lots of clicking, grinding, and clacking sounds.

They thought the fans were hitting on something and were wondering why the machine was ticking. When I went and listened to the computers, I was able to identify the source of their complaints as being the hard drive mechanism.

It worked fine, but what a racket. Sounded like something was really wrong.

Last time I went with a Samsung.

Oh, and why did I try it in the first place? My supplier sent the wrong units. I wouldn't have intentionally ordered them for fear of trying to get the warranty honored when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.