Internal drive not detected/available

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gdc, Sep 16, 2009.

1. gdc macrumors member

My Mac Pro, used very little as yet in this life following a fortuitous acquisition from my former company, is failing to recognize one of the three hard disks.
    I have a 320 gb system disk running Snow L, and two 500 gb disks which are currently empty of data.
    Following boot, the second of the 500 gb drives isn't available - it doesn't appear on my desktop, or in Finder, or in the side bar when I launch Disk Utility.
    The system profile information returns a single line saying there was an error when trying to detect information about my disks - it doesn't give me information on any of them.
    In its previous life this disk was a mirrored RAID array (with the other 500 gb drive) used a shared file server for standard office documents etc in what I would call a modest load environment - it was no media studio!
    Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I also lost a 250 GB drive to a Highpoint RAID card. It will not be recognized by any normal SATA port. If I hook it up to a RAID capable card it will be detected though. I think certain RAID cards modify the basic drive addressing such that you cannot use them with anything but the RAID card.

3. gdc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I don't think this is the cause as I was ony using the drive as part of a software RAID through Disk Utility of Leopard Server.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I have this problem with CF cards sometimes. Typically the solution is to format it on a different machine. In your case maybe a friends PC or something? That would let you know if it's actually the drive I think too.