Internal Drive Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vbctv, Feb 4, 2016.

1. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

I recently replaced my USB 3 external 120GB SSD that I had hooked as a Fusion with the 500GB internal HDD. I replaced it with a 500GB SSD that I'm just going to use via the USB 3 enclosure as the boot drive itself without Fusion. My question is however, can I use the internal 500GB drive as a time machine instead of having to hook up another external drive as the time machine?
    I tried looking this up, but I don't think anyone has ever asked this question. I'm assuming the 5400rpm is the same as the external HD I have hooked up as the time machine.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... that will work just fine. You will of course need to reformat the internal drive first.

The only downside is most people like to have the backup drive outside of the computer (like and external) because if something like a say a power issue were to happen to the computer, in theory it could also kill your backup drive. But what you described will work.

3. davekro macrumors regular

davekro

I have my internal 1TB HDD set as my TimeMachine volume with an internal 500GB SSD for the OS. But I also have a 3TB USB 3 HDD (split into 6 volumes) that holds a daily incremental Carbon Copy Clone of my internal SSD.