Internal drive suddenly full - how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashley, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ashley macrumors member

So I've poked around my computer and through the Macrumors archives but can't seem to find any answers, so maybe one of you have had this problem?

I have a 100 gig internal harddrive, and as far as I can tell I should only be using about 60 or so gigs of space - 20 for pictures, 20 for music, another 20-odd for other stuff. Maybe a little less.

But my computer started running really slow today so I checked the hard drive space and I'm up to 80+ of used space, but I'm not sure how I got there.

The only thing that's different is that I got an external hard drive for Christmas and backed up with Time Machine.

Soooooo ...

I guess there might be a really easy answer to this, but how I can figure out what's using up an extra 20 gigs of space? I want it back!

Thanks in advance ...

Ashley

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My suggestion is to check /private/var/vm.

It's more then likely tied up in virtual memory. Do you get the space back if you reboot?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

could be a run away log or something like that ... might want to check to see if if there are any 1GB+ files on the drive.

However if you did an archive and install of leopard, that old tiger folder can be burning up 10-14GB of space.

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

If you're on Leopard, do you have TimeMachine setup and running? Just a thought...

EDIT: just reread your post, never mind :)

5. ashley thread starter macrumors member

Eidorian - No, I don't get the space back when I reboot. :(

Sun Baked - Yeah, I remember seeing it was larger after getting it back with Leopard (it crashed, they recovered my data and added on Leopard while it was there), but this is above and beyond. Stupid question, but how do I check for files by size?

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Ashley

6. ashley thread starter macrumors member

WildPalms - Yeah, I thought for a moment I might have just accidentally copied some files or that Time Machine was backing up files to my internal while it wasn't connected to Time Machine, but the loss of space it too big for that, especially since I haven't done anything beside viewing photos and streaming video today.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

My favorite tool!

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Similar to Disk Inventory X, I use WhatSize to figure out where all my disk space is being used.

10. ashley thread starter macrumors member

Perfect; I'll use it and see what comes up. Thank you!

11. ashley thread starter macrumors member

Okay ... trying to download either one of those recommended programs ... is there a reason why my computer would recognize and lable those files as .exe Quicktime files instead of disk images? And not open them? Arg!

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, that's… unusual. What browser are you using?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What browser are you using?

14. ashley thread starter macrumors member

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like it's a partial download then. They show up as .exe from time to time.

Give it a try in Safari.

16. ashley thread starter macrumors member

Awesome ... works in Safari. Weird.

Okay, so - Disk Inventory running down.

17. ashley thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I guess I had about 8 gigs more pictures than I thought ... 4.5 of which were from PhotoBooth (wow). And then there's the 6.7 gigs under Previous Systems. Can I get rid of that?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's safe to get rid of Previous Systems.

19. ashley thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thank you for all your help - I'm going to partition my drive and start transferring some pictures over so I'll have some extra space.

Thanks again!

Ashley

20. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Please read before partitioning

Before you partition: If you use iDisk (.Mac) syncing then it is very likely that the size of the local iDisk has grown out of proportion. A search in the Apple support forums will confirm the extent and severity of the problem.

The only extant solution is to turn off iDisk syncing and delete the local iDisk mirror, which is a "Sparse Bundle" located somewhere in your /User/Library/FileSync folder.