Internal DVD drive just ejects discs.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danielbrowning, Mar 10, 2012.

1. danielbrowning macrumors member

Hi all

My 2010 27" iMac's DVD drive accepts discs, sits for 20-30 seconds then ejects them. They don't show up at all in Disk Utility.

However, if I boot camp into Windows 7, Windows will mount the discs fine. I left one mounted and rebooted to OS X (Lion), and the disc showed up on the desktop fine. Eject and re-insert cause it to go back to just ejecting the disc.

I have tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, and I have tried unplugging the iMac for a while just in case... I don't have anything odd running in the background...

Anyone got any ideas please? :(

2. ZingaroMom macrumors newbie

DVD Drive Ejects Most Disks

I have exact same issue with my DVD Drive. Some DVDs work, others do not, although they work in other players. It seems to have gotten worse over time or software updates.

I've read a ton of postings about people with similar issues. If anyone can help, I would be so grateful :)

This is my DVD information and I am running 10.6.8!

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-875:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-875
    Revision: DB09
    Serial Number: fE08E188
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    Low Power Polling: Yes
    Power Off: No

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've got an iMac, and the first thing (actually, the only thing) that went wrong with it is that the disk drive stopped recognizing DVDs. A little research on my part showed that this was, unfortunately, not uncommon for the internal Matshita drives on iMacs.

Don't have a Windows partition, so I can't speak to that part of your question.

I figured out of warranty, I was better off getting an external DVD drive. If what I heard about Matshita drives was true, I could get another internal drive only to see it fail.

And yeah, I've got the same drive, a UJ-875.