Internal exFAT drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rturner2, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rturner2 macrumors 6502

Hi

I have an SSD which has two partitions: Mac OS and Windows 7.

I also have another internal hard drive 750GB. I took out the DVD drive and put this in.

I am considering formatting this drive as exFAT so that both Windows 7 and Mac OS can both read and write to this drive (without the need to partition the drive).

Mac OS lets me format this internal drive as exFAT but Windows 7 won't let me format it probably because it is an internal drive. Note: I'm not going to be booting from this drive.

Can anyone see any issues in my formatting it as exFAT?

Thanks in advance.

2. rturner2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems to work...

So I went ahead and formatting the internal drive as exFAT.

Seems to work great! Full read and write on both Windows 7 and Mac OS.

Brilliant! Now both OSes can share the drive without having to partion.

I'll keep you posted of any issues if I experience them in the future.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I ran into some FS corruption with an external 2TB drive I had formatted exFAT. I was using it alright for a week or so moving stuff from my Mac to a PC, but one time I moved it back he PC called up CHKDSK. Thus ended my experiment with exFAT.

I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

B

4. rturner2 thread starter macrumors 6502

@balamw

Thanks for the info! Crap, I hope I don't have issues. I wish I knew this from you a few hours earlier. :-(

I assume you didn't have both the Mac and PC accessing the hard drive at the same time?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No, of course not, and I ejected it properly before removal from both systems.

NOTE: I didn't actually lose any data, but it didn't give me warm fuzzies that the chkdsk was called for so quickly.

B

6. chrisnwb macrumors newbie

rturner2 (or anyone else with exFAT-partitioned internal drives),

How is it working now?

I just set up an exFAT internal drive on my macbook's optibay, and within a day, Windows 7 (via boot camp) failed to recognize the partition. At first, while the drive didn't have data yet, Windows can access the partition. From OS X, I then copied data over to the partition and on my next Windows bootup, gone--it was asking to initialize.

I was having doubts using 3rd-party NTFS drives on OS X, but with this recent exFAT experience, I'm having 2nd thoughts with exFAT (internal drive) now.

7. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I had a similar sort of issue when I had an internal partition formatted as FAT32 that I accessed from OS X and Windows. Every now and again, when I access the FAT32 partition from OS X and then boot into Windows, Windows would throw up the CHKDSK screen during start-up. I was never quite sure why it did that and it bugged me. Could it be related to your CHKDSK call with your exFAT drive?

8. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Why not use MacDrive Pro? It works great for reading Mac OS Extended Journaled partitions.

9. murphychris macrumors 6502a

exFAT is well suited for flash media such as USB sticks and memory cards, for a smaller number of large files (think photos and movies); whereas NTFS is better suited for many files of any size. For an internal disk you should use NTFS or HFS+. If I had to pick between the two I'd pick NTFS for important data, and HFS+ for performance.