Internal -> External HDD Drive Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by inspirations365, Mar 4, 2011.

1. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Hey all,

My Vaio AR770 had its video card crap out on me. I've purchased a hard drive dock so that I can get the data from the vaio and put it on my new primary computer, my secondary laptop (MacBook Pro).

The problem is, I discovered when I opened my Vaio that there were two HDDs. Good thing I bought the Duet, right! No problem. I pop the drives in (into our HP desktop, Win 7), fire up the dock, and Windows tells me "You need to format the drive (H:\) before you can use it." Why is it saying this?

I thought maybe one of the HDDs was a restore HDD or something, but they're both reading as 111.79 GB. One is RAW, the other is showing up as unallocated. This is very confusing to me since I had a single 320 GB HDD showing up in the Vaio!

Any thoughts? I really don't want to have to format the drives (yet). The MacBook Pro wants to initialize the drives as well ("The disk you inserted is not readable by the computer"), so that's not an option (yet) either. Disk utility won't let me Verify or Repair disk or anything like that, but will list information at the bottom, and recognizes one of the disks as having a Windows MBR and being NTFS, the other as unformatted.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. Inserting them in separately doesn't help.

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

You might have better luck posting to a Windows help forum, since it seems like most of your issues are coming from the Windows side.