Internal/External SSD/HDD ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steffz07, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Steffz07 macrumors member

When i get my new MacBook Pro i want to get an external harddrive. I'll mostly be using this for storing my music, movies, tv series and videos. I understand that the new SSD's are faster for some technical reasons i cannot recall and also use less heat because there are no moving parts? So would it be better to get an internal SSD on my MPB and an external HDD or is an internal SSD just not worth the money?

Should i just stick with an internal AND external HDD?

I will probably get a 500gb self-powered one so that i can carry it around.
    I have around A$1300 to spend updrading the MPB im going to get. Planning to get a discrete graphics one and get an external HDD/SSD with the rest of the money.

Might even buy a Magic Mouse =P

What are you're thoughts on my Hard Drive situation?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

A SSD is the best performance upgrade you can currently buy for a laptop. If the budget is available, no question, it's where I'd put mine. Every time I use a laptop with a regular drive I'm reminded of just how much of a difference a SSD makes - everything just responds instantly - there is no waiting while the hard disk clicks away. They are not, in my experience, much cooler or more power efficient. They are silent, however.

Why not buy a SSD and an external enclosure (available for under $25) to put your existing drive in as a backup. If you need more space down the road, buy another external drive and keep the current one safe at home for additional backup.

3. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I use a cheap external 2.5" SATA USB2 box, fitted with the HD that came out of my Mac Mini when I upgraded it to SSD. Works a treat.

4. Steffz07 thread starter macrumors member

So lemme see if i understand this right.

Upgrade my internal harddrive to a SSD and take out the one thats already inside and put it in a casing-ish thingy and use that as an external HDD? Does Apple do that for you or do you gotta do it at some 3rd party shop?

Now that i know an SSD will speed up my computer heaps ill prolly add that in.

5. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

You've got it right. :)

If you can physically lift a screwdriver, you can do it yourself. Or any mom'n'pop computer shop can do it.

I got the external drive box off EBay for less than £10.

6. Steffz07 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm I'v been looking at the Intel X25-E SSD and theyre like $300 for 80gb....that seems wayy too much to pay for so little capacity. I think that i will probably stick with my internal HDD and just buy an external HDD. Probably in a year or so, when the prices of SSD's drop, ill upgrade to one. But as it stands now, theyre a bit too expensive for me.

Any1 have any recommendations for an external HDD? Looking for a portable 500gb with FW800 and USB 2.0 support. I was looking at the WD Mypassport studio, but apparently it has bad durability??? And the turbo transfer thingy doesnt really help much. Its gotta be self powered too.