Internal hard drive capacity upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dckj95, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dckj95 macrumors member

I'll be getting a mid-2012 cMBP soon and I'll be swapping the original 500GB hard drive for a 1TB drive myself.

Just wanted to know if there are any specific requirements for the drive to work identical to the original one besides having to be 2.5"? Also, will a 7200rpm drive work?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm will work, thus even a 7,200 RPM HDD will work.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I'm also interested in a 1 TB HD for my Mac mini 2011 which is restricted to 9.5mm drive height. Recently found there is a 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" 9.5mm drive, the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (WD took over Hitachi HD division and renamed it HGST). According to Amazon customer reviews several people have installed it in MBPs.

The 7K1000 uses only a little more power than a standard 5400 rpm drive so heat probably won't be a problem.
    http://www.hgst.com/travelstar-7k1000