Internal hard drive ejects on its own

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmm0020, Sep 15, 2010.

1. mmm0020 macrumors newbie

I got a new 1tb WD internal hard drive and I took it out of the box and popped it right into my macbook pro 15". It fits and i am able to easily close the back on the computer. My only problem is that when i start up the computer, it loads for a few minutes, but 100% of the time after about 3-4 minutes i get a notice saying i did not eject the drive safely and all that. After that the internal hard drive is no longer there. I cant see it in my finder, or disk utility. BTW i am booting from my old hard drive externally.

Is there something simple i am missing here that would cause the new internal hard drive to eject itself?

2. mmm0020 thread starter macrumors newbie

i used disk utility from the disk start up and did the GUID partition and all that. When i tried to install snow leopard on it it started installing, but then came up with an error because the hard drive had ejected itself.

3. mmm0020 thread starter macrumors newbie

most of the time though it wont stay connected long enough for me to format it... though i have successfully done the mac extended journaled

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I would check to make sure the drive is secured properly and not loose.

Just a guess... but usually that error means that the drive was physically removed.

5. mmm0020 thread starter macrumors newbie

i physically held it together tightly to make sure it stayed connected and the same thing happened. also my original HDD stays in tact without problems.

i just finished copying my original hard drive to the new one via an enclosure. Now i have the new hard drive completely cloned and it will boot when from an enclosure, but as soon as i install it, it will load then freeze up, then not work because "the disk was not ejected properly". i dont think it is the cable connected to the internal hard drive because my original HDD works flawlessly.

any other ideas out there? any help is much appreciated

6. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

It doesn't sound like your WD hard drive has a problem then if you are able to clone the original hard drive to it when you put it into an enclosure and it boots fine from the enclosure. I am inclined to say that there is something wrong with the cable(s) you are using to connect it to the MBP internally, notwithstanding that it works with the original HDD. It might be a very minor tolerance thing. The alternative is to return the WD and try another one just to rule out fault with the WD connectors. I wonder also if it might not be related to power supply when putting a larger HDD into the MBP.