Internal Hard Drive Locked

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JonnyP123, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JonnyP123 macrumors newbie

So I had some issues with my system and finally decided it was best to get a new hard drive and reinstall osx. When I did this though, my second internal hard drive became locked. I have gone into the Get Info for the drive and it has the Privilege set to Custom. I unlock the lock in the lower right corner and try to change custom to Read & Write, but it does not make the change. I am at a loss on where to go from here.

I am on a MacPro running 10.5.7

Also, which I havent noticed before, the icon of the drive has a small silver lock in the lower left corner. This is the icon on the desktop itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How did it "became locked"?
    That might shed some light on the situation

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. JonnyP123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the odd thing. I do not know. So here is a bit more info. I have two drives on my system, one with the system and the other for projects. The system drive started acting up, so I finally put a new drive in and restored it with my back up disk. This, of course, brought the corrupted file back over so I knew I had to zero out the disk and reinstall everything. I believe when I restored the system drive, this is when the project drive became locked.

I know for sure that once I erased the system drive to reinstall osx from scratch it was locked. There was no action taken or involvement with the project drive, it just showed up locked upon a restart.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

When I had this problem before I used a little free app called Lock Me Baby. I couldn't find a link for it but since it's free I thought I would just post it here for you to try.

Attached Files:

5. JonnyP123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will look into it. Anyone else use this program. Always a bit wary of smaller programs.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

What I had to do was duplicate the drive to my desktop then I used the app to unlock the folder. Then I just formatted the locked drive and copied my info back onto it. It took some time but much better than losing my data.

EDIT: Here is a link to their website.. http://soramimi-works.net/software.shtml

7. JonnyP123 thread starter macrumors newbie