Internal Hard Drive not recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chisasba, Apr 8, 2012.

1. chisasba macrumors member

System is early 2011 13" MBP with two Intel 80GB SSDs set up in raid.
    So yesterday I'm watching a video on youtube and I see in istats that CPU usage is a really high percentage. I check and see syslogd is what is using up so much. Then my MBP just freezes. I restart and it shows the Apple logo then shows a prohibited sign. Won't boot into single user or safe mode. I reset PRAM and nothing changed.
    I switch the SSD in the OD location to the regular HD location and restart. My system loads no problem..about 10 minutes later syslogd is hogging the CPU and my MBP freezes again. I restart and no luck this time.

I pop in the install disc and in system profiler under SATA it shows the SSD in the OD spot but not in the HD spot. Disc utility doesn't recognize it either. I switch drives and same thing. I throw in the stock 320GB Apple HD. It doesn't show up either.
    I did a fresh install on the 320GB hard drive and still nothing in the hard drive slot. I connect it externally via USB and no problems, runs fine..but slow of course.

I'm assuming there's a problem with the SATA cable or a logic board problem? Anyone have any other advice on what to try?

Thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The cable would be your first port of call...Change it and see if any drive will work....If not, then it looks like a Logic Board problem.

3. chisasba thread starter macrumors member

Took it to Apple yesterday. Ended up being the cable as I suspected. Free because of AppleCare but would have cost $56 (17 for cable and 39 for labor) if no AC.