Internal Hard Drive Transfer Speed---Very Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacDuck, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MacDuck macrumors member

So here is the situation:

I have a SR MBP, 10.5.6, 4GB RAM, and a 150 GB FUJITSU MHW2160BHPL (Original Drive).

For the past few months, internal file transfer speeds have been horrible. As an example, I loaded the latest WebKit nightly build yesterday. It downloaded fine, but took over 2 min to transfer the application after mounting to the actual application folder.

Additionally, this morning I was moving over the latest distribution of Ubuntu 8.10 which is 699 MB. It took 7 min to transfer from a USB flash drive over to the desktop. This is crazy!!!

I did the same operation on my wife's new Unibody MacBook and it took a min. and a half. Something is seriously wrong here.

I do have a bootcamp partition, but have had that since I got the computer with no problems. This problem is now starting to affect my experience on the computer, and have tried the usual repair permissions, pram reset, used Onyx, etc.

I am attaching some disk utility screenshots, confirming the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as the partition.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or do I need to replace this drive?

Attached Files:

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Run activity monitor while reproducing the copy operation to see what is happening with any processes taking up a lot of CPU time and causing lots of swapping out to HDD. Perhaps its the NDS process (Spotlight indexing the copied files) or perhaps another processing causing lots of swapping out.