Internal Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxThatSamGuyxX, Jul 18, 2009.

1. XxThatSamGuyxX macrumors newbie

So I'm looking to upgrade the internal hard drive in my MacBook3,1.

1) What "type" of hard drive am I looking for? I'm not really familiar with HDD specifications or how many shapes and sizes they come in.
    2) How much do you reckon it'll cost me?
    3) Any good suppliers in the UK?
    4) Is it as simple as it seems to replace hard drives in MacBooks? Slide-out, slide-in?
    5) Will I be able to install Mac OS right onto the empty drive or does setup require some hidden system files on the disk that only Apple can put there?

If you could help me with any of these questions I'd be most grateful :)

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Buy This and follow This Video on how to do it. With this in mind, the video is somewhat complete for those at a certain experience level but then it is an overview and somewhat incomplete for others. You may find some content in These instructions helpful to fill in any missing or unknown information.
    Please understand that the 2 methods are different but related techniques on how to perform the operation. Before you begin, you may want to do further research if you are still uncomfortable with the operation. The first time that I did it, I used the MacInstruct tutorial only and everything went smoothly although time consuming. -GDF