Internal hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jafca09, Jul 15, 2014.

1. jafca09 macrumors newbie

If my hard drive won't mount (gray screen with question mark icon) when it's internal, but it will mount in an enclosure, does that necessarily point to the hard drive cable as the thing that needs replacing? Anything I should try before buying a new cable?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could be either the cable or the controller on the logicboard. But are you able to mount or even see it if your Macbook is started up from an external drive with the bad drive inside?

3. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took the drive out and put it in an external enclosure. It works that way. Is that what you mean?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mid 2009 15"

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have another drive you could test in the Macbook with?

7. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes; what would that help diagnose? Let me know what to look for. Thanks!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put the bootable drive in the external and the extra test drive in the internal. If the test internal drive is seen, then it likely isn't a cable or controller. If it isn't, then it likely is a cable or the controller.

9. bennynova macrumors member

most likely it's your hard drive cable

they fail a lot (in my use)

10. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is odd. It shows up. So does that mean it's something with the original hard drive -- even though that hard drive boots in the enclosure?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Correct, I'd first backup all data on the original internal drive and zero it out. Once that is complete, reinstall Mac OS X.

12. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

While it's in the external enclosure, obviously, right? So your hypothesis is that reinstalling everything could make it recognizable again once it's internal?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, wipe it and reinstall Mac OS X while it is in the external. Don't forget to first back up your files and data.

14. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I did this, I tried inputting the original drive internally one more time. It worked! At least for a few hours, as if nothing was wrong. I put my computer the sleep and carried the laptop with me in my bag for about thirty minutes. Then I opened the lid to find the gray screen. Same thing that happened to me before. Is that diagnostically significant?

I haven't yet implemented your suggestion to wipe it. Thought I'd check in first given the new details. Thanks!

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could be that the drive is starting to fail at the electronic level that the Macbook doesn't like. Do you happen to have another drive of that same model to test it with?

16. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the other drives I've tested are different models. Again a potential diagnostic tool: another drive I put in there that I know works wouldn't boot (gray question mark screen). Makes me think the cable is faulty -- just seems odd I got it to work earlier today.

17. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does seem that the cable is faulty. The inserting ans removing of the drive may have been enough ti get it working for a short while.

19. jafca09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, all. Think I should schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar to have them officially diagnose the issue, or should I just go ahead an order the part from ifixit (or is there a better vendor)?