Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bpo1, Aug 13, 2008.

1. bpo1 macrumors newbie

So i am looking to upgrade my internal hard drive in my macbook, it was the original macbook 2 GHz Intel Core duo, 1 GB memory. My 3 questions are:
    1) is there a max number of gigs you can put inside a laptop?
    2) what are the differences and advantages of the different RPMs?
    3) Once installed do you just install all Leopard and load everything in from time machine with an external hard drive?

-Bpo1

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

1) The current 2.5" hard drives will not reach the limit of your Macbook, so that's not something you have to worry about.
    2) 5400RPM is standard. 7200RPM is a little faster, but more expensive and generates more heat. 4200RPM drives are slower and not as common these days.
    3) Yes. Backup your current system with Time Machine, install Leopard on the new drive, then restore with Time Machine.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Just be sure to get a 9.5mm tick HD, whichever size you choose.
    As an alternative you can always buy an exxternal enclosure to put the new drive in. Then clone the internal drive to the new external with Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper. Check you can boot from the external clone and then install the new drive inside.
    Once you see everything is working correctly you can put the old drive in the enclosure and erase it. That way you will have a nice external drive for backups or else.

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

nope,
    restore from time machine while installing leopard, there is an option.

don't install leopard
    then restore

im like 95% sure of this, and if im wrong, please tell

5. bpo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

The samsung you linked too will work fine, 9.5mm is a standard on 2.5'' drives (always check specs first ) but with only one exception that i know off the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB is 12.5mm so will only fit in 17'' pros

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

500GB (Don't buy the Hitachi one)

With same capacity, the higher RPM equates to low access times and faster data read/write; with difference capacity, a slower, but bigger drive may be faster than a fast, but small drive. However the higher RPM will have better access times.

That's what you do; back up everything to Time Machine, run the Installer, and when it asks to start, go to Utilities-->Restore from Time Machine.

8. bpo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anything i can do like time machine for the windows side of my hard drive?

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

WinClone

10. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have a Hitachi (OEM brand) 320GB HD installed by myself for less than $100. Works GREAT!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Like Time Machine? No. But there are back up apps, but they don't look as nice.