Internal Harddrive for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Illmetaphor, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Illmetaphor macrumors member

I have a Quad Core Mac Pro...I'm pretty much on empty for hard drive space. I would like to add a internal HD that I can install on my own.

Any recommendations?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Any 3.5" SATA drive will work. I suggest either Western Digital or Seagate. I got one of these for my early 2008 iMac about 6 months ago and so far I'm delighted with it. I didn't benchmark it so I don't have any hard numbers, but I've found the performance (copying between partitions, or hashing/encoding files) to be easily double that of the Seagate 7200.10 320 GB drive that was originally installed.

(I wasn't sure, but bare drive just means that it ships in an antistatic bag rather than in a retail package, which suits me just fine. The shipping box is filled with plenty of packing materials anyway.)

3. ukuleleman macrumors member

Hard drives

My Mac Pro came with a Western Digital HD I have installed two further drives, both Hitatchi, I would not have a Western Digi drive by choice, I have had too many problems with them failing in the past, although the one in my machine has not let me down yet.