Internal Harddrives converted to External Harddrives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Khryz, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Quick question - I want to buy another 320 GB harddrive for my PS3 and then use the stock 80GB harddrive as an external HDD that I can use for my Mac. Is this possible? I know I have to buy an enclosure so that it can be used as another HDD - but is there any specifics I need to look for when choosing an enclosure? NewEgg has some costing $8 and other's as high as $35 .. The PS3's have 2.5" Serial ATA HDD's.

2. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Buy WD's Passport 320.
    They cost sometimes even less then drives alone.
    Then just swap drives, and use resulting WD'P 80 with your Mac ;))
    I do just that:D

Be careful, look up instructions to disassemble first, though nothing of rocket science.
    I took apart mine without instructions, nearly broke it :rolleyes: so use caution and you safe.

P.S. even if you break the case badly, you still have working electronics, so then just tape it together :eek::):D:D:D

3. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I don't have no game console yet, so I'm curious to know - what you use this capacity for on PS3?

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you're saying use the 320GB HDD from the Passport in my PS3 and then use the PS3's stock 80GB in the Passport's enclosure? It'll fit fine?

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the PS3 you're able to download game demos and entire video games, store your iTunes music library, store videos and there's a PS3 service coming soon (if maybe it's here already) to buy or rent movies from the PSN store.

6. sabre364 macrumors member

I wouldn't recommend the external enclosure route unless you happen to have a bigger old hd sitting around.

My first purchase of enclosure for my old 240gb SATA seagate was a disaster. I dont know the exact name, I can get it for you if you are interested though. Any static touching it, it would shut off the drive, luckily it didn't damage it. Terrible terrible. You'd take off your fleece, accidently touch it and it would turn off.

Then I tried a 'NexStar3' blue Al enclosure. It has a USB 2.0 and eSATA (! - these are AMAZING but the only comps that have em are basically desktops, in which case its not as useful anyways).

It has been working flawlessly for a couple years now.

Downsides, no fans obviously, but it hasnt given me any issues, even when downloading gigs of stuff to that drive non stop for weeks. Doesnt get too hot. The case aint perfect. The bottom screw sticks out a bit, I just put a piece of packing tape on top. It certainly holds everything in place, but the screw doesn't go all the way in. Clearly this was an issue even with the first external enclosure I purchased (low grade construction, though the Al sure looks nice).

Also, its externally powered obviously. The connections are a bit flimsy, I'm always careful removing the power and usb cables. Otherwise it works as advertised and has its own power switch so it doesn't ahve to run ALL the time.

If you have any more Q's let me know. Honestly I would not bother to get a $30 external enclosure for a 80 gb drive. You can get very large laptop external drives (2.5 inch and powered through the usb itself) and desktop ones for very very good prices. Storage is cheaper than ever now.