Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
I've got a G5 got it at the start of 2005, ive got 2gb memory in there and am gonna buy another 4gb and install it before friday, now i wanna put a bigger INTERNAL hardrive in there seen as i've only got a 160GB drive and would like another bigger one in there, say about 500GB, how would i go about buying one (where is the best place) and how would i install it?

btw i dont want an external i have got 1 already

btw this is all for the release of leopard

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
A couple of sources I frequent are Newegg and TigerDirect. TigerDirect has the Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive right now for $109.

As for the install, it's a snap. Go to the Apple site support page and search for the Powermac Manual or User guide for your computer. In there it will describe, in detail, how to physically add a hard drive. You'll soon appreciate Apple's design expertise!

As for formatting it, go to the utilities folder and start Disk Utility. In the left pane you should see the new drive. Select it (MAKE CERTAIN YOU ARE SELECTING THE NEWLY ADDED DRIVE!!!) then go over and select the erase button. In the Volume Format pulldown set it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then in the Name field give the drive a name. Hit the Erase to perform the formatting and soon you should have a functioning hard drive ready to use.

If you end up installing a used drive (don't recommend it) set it to erase the disk in the Security Options before pressing the Erase button. This will write zeros to the disk and make the old data unreadable. The different levels of zero writing are explained.

If you are not sure of something you set in Disk Utility just cancel out of it then go back in. If you get stuck or not sure of what's going on then don't hesitate to post in this same thread again.

Good luck and I think you'll do fine!

Anyone want to add something or see anything wrong I recommended?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.